Author Topic: Kim Shattuck RIP  (Read 944 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Kim Shattuck RIP
« on: October 02, 2019, 07:38:26 PM »
Kim Shattuck, Lead Singer and Songwriter for The Muffs, Dies at 56

I had no idea she had been suffering from ALS the past two years. The Muffs played here two years ago about this time.

westen44

• View Profile
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Kim Shattuck RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 11:20:49 PM »
NY Times article

The Coolies release mentioned in the story. The first vinyl pressing is sold out but there's a digital download available, and 100% of profits will be donated to The ALS Association Golden West Chapter.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 04:43:10 PM »
The details are even sadder. Just heartbreaking.

How late Muffs frontwoman Kim Shattuck made final album while secretly battling ALS: ‘Nothing would stop her from doing what she loved to do’

They played here on 8/26/17, with followup dates in Green Bay and Chicago. I couldn't make the show but friends of mine opened for them and didn't notice anything wrong. From the article, though, her symptoms had already started.  :sad:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 12:44:53 PM »
It's a cruel disease. A schoolmate of Edith and mine died of it years ago. It was heartbreaking to see how he became less and less while his young children were still growing up.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 12:54:31 PM »
Kim Shattuck's courage was something to be greatly admired.  Amazing how she was able to complete that album and also keep her illness from people.  It looks like she did everything the right way and way better than most could have done. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal