Author Topic: A giant has passed! Dick Dale, R.I.P.  (Read 1044 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
A giant has passed! Dick Dale, R.I.P.
« on: March 17, 2019, 01:36:01 PM »
http://californiarocker.com/2019/03/17/rip-dick-dale-king-of-the-surf-guitar-passes-away-at-82/

Oh.....damn. I heard last week that he was not well, but I was hoping for the best.

I've been going to every show of his I could reach for the past 15 years.

He invented surf music, popularized it, and handed off to any number of bands in the 60's. His comeback was wonderful, and many young people and musicians are a bit better off for having heard him live.

R.I.P., Richard Anthony Monsour, known to ages as Dick Dale. You were one of a kind. There are no others.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:14:54 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
Re: A giant has passed! Dick Dale, R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 04:23:23 PM »
Although I don't listen to it much, I genuinely like surf music.  That's not good at all losing someone like that.  As an aside, though, I could have done without the 12 Ashley Madison ads on that page.  Not really what I want to be looking at when I'm just finding out about someone dying. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 05:27:32 PM »
RIP Dick

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 12:39:24 AM »
R.I.P Dick Dale.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 08:28:37 AM »
NPR did a nice story about his passing this morning, and included a couple of sound clips.  Of course, Miserlou was featured.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 09:29:47 AM »
Here 'tis
https://www.npr.org/2019/03/18/704373876/surf-guitar-legend-dick-dale-dies-at-81

A pioneer for sure in more ways than one... he had a hand in bringing middle eastern scales into Western rock, not to mention that distinctive picking style, and apparently his habit of blowing up early 60s Fender amps led to both the Showman and the JBL 130F.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 06:49:48 PM »
rip...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 11:29:58 AM »
   We opened for him about ten years ago.  Very gracious and easy to work with.  His set was fantastic,  I got to play his hiitar! He really was the nicest guy, fun to chat with and full of good advice. RIP Dick Dale.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird