Author Topic: Shiner beer!  (Read 2438 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Shiner beer!
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 09:26:25 AM »
Three biggest sellers in the state, sad to say: Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Light

IMO "light" beer isn't real beer. Popularity doesn't equal good taste or good judgment. "Lite" beer is for college students to swill down a dozen at a time at parties and not die from alcohol poisoning.

A. Nope, Miller Lite, Coors Light.
B. Having never lived anywhere but Texas in my whole 57 years I've had plenty of Lone Star. I happen to like it.
C. Where you from again?

A) Understood. See comment above.

B) My daughters spent a week in San Antone recently - both of them born in Texas but raised in Fort Collins Colorado, often called "the Napa Valley of beer." They went there with plans to pick up Lone Star and try it, as "the national beer of Texas." I told them to go ahead, but pick up and try the Shiner Bock. Everywhere that I traveled in TX, especially in BBQ joints, consumption of Shiner Bock was about 2X that of any other beer.

They reported that each opened and tried a Lone Star, poured the rest out, then went to the Shiner Bock. They pronounced it much better. They were very disappointed in the Lone Star. But they have been into craft beer (including sours and saisons) since they could drink legally, and their taste buds are definitely not set for macro-brews.

No insult intended to those who like Lone Star, but IMO it takes a back seat to pretty much anything out of the Shiner brewery. Tastes differ, and evidently their taste buds are set up closer to mine. I mainly drink stouts and porters. Their taste buds have been spoiled by truly good beer.

C) Born in Iowa, moved to Washington (Go, COUGS!) at 10, moved to Texas at 35 and spent 13 years at A&M, then moved to Colorado at age 48. I'm a much better fit in Colorado than Texas, because I like to rock the boat and change things, and being a state employee in Texas boils down to a perpetual state of "Thank you sir, may I have another?"
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 01:27:56 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 10:20:43 AM »
My super market does not carry Lone Star...but it sure does carry Shiner Bock...

While I prefer the local brews, Shiner is relatively inexpensive and really good. 

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 02:05:05 PM »
A. Nope, Miller Lite, Coors Light.
B. Having never lived anywhere but Texas in my whole 57 years I've had plenty of Lone Star. I happen to like it.
C. Where you from again?

Ronn, please have mercy on him, he spent many years in Aggieland.  :o

Nothing wrong with Lone Star. American lagers are still popular for a reason.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 06:22:25 PM »
True enough, Dave. I drink the occasional Coors, and I've had many American lagers. I can't recall having one in the past 15 years or so, but I know they're out there. I grew up on Olympia, Rainier, Bud and the occasional Michelob (that was the good stuff.)  My best friend in washington prefers Henry Weinhard's and I enjoy it with him. But even when i was in TX, I didn't like Lone Star. I was a shier Bock guy, and my best friend down there (also a WSU Coug that I ran into at A&M after not seeing him for 10 years) was a Shiner Blonde fan.

One of my friends quipped "Some people want to drink a different beer everywhere they travel in the world. I just want to drink a Bud everywhere I go in the world."

But I'm staying with my opinion of lite beer. My motto is "Life is too short for lite beer."

Ronn, Dave may be right. I can only agree that 13 years in Aggieland is enough to warp ANYbody!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 12:14:11 PM »
I always find it both amusing and annoying that the worst beers are the biggest sellers. And I miss German Beck's. I'm not going to pay the same import price for that stuff they're making in the St. Louis piss factory.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 12:21:10 PM »
Lite beer is proof there is a devil...but it does come in handy for outdoor gigs when it is really hot.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 02:15:21 PM »
We use malt for other purposes up here...

Can't post the pictures as I was only allowed to take them for personal use (I know the rules... no pic, no facts :mrgreen:) and no blogs etc but I had a job in Elgin (to the east of Inverness) at the headquarters of Gordon and MacPhail, who are well known producers and bottlers of malts, both rare and widely known...

So... I had to check the security of the bonded warehouse... where they store the barrels... some of them very old... so I asked what was "interesting", and had my nose pointed in the direction of two Macallan Glenlivet casks... one dated 1945 caught my attention and the pic now graces the wallpaper of my work phone... It was only later that I realised the one next to it was dated 1959... the year of my birth...

I was also shown a sample (only to look at :sad:) of the newest release of their "Generations" series... a 1939 Mortlach... yours for £20,000... :toast:

I also communed with Angels in the back warehouse... totally dark... thousands of barrels... a temperature controlled environment... just me, all those barrels, and the Angels helping themselves to their own share...

Talk about kid in a (virtual) candy store...  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 02:56:37 PM »
My Friday night ritual when not playing, is to pick up a 12 pack...tonight it's Shiner Bock in honor of this thread.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 05:26:25 PM »
My Friday night ritual when not playing, is to pick up a 12 pack...tonight it's Shiner Bock in honor of this thread.

Dangit dave, where's the LIKE button??   8)

Here's the beer my wife and I are having before dinner - she's having the one on the left.  Tasty!