Author Topic: Badbird ancestor on this Embassy Deluxe?  (Read 2242 times)

• View Profile
Badbird ancestor on this Embassy Deluxe?
« on: February 15, 2015, 02:53:14 AM »
just got this Embassy and thought some might find this early version of someone's attempt at the badbird concept interesting. Not sure how long ago it was done but the guy I got it from said it was on the bass when he got it at least 20 years ago. It's actually pretty well done:

Second odd-ball detail, anyone ever seen Centralab pots like these before?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 03:25:35 AM by 999 »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Badbird ancestor on this Embassy Deluxe?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 02:57:53 AM »
just got this Embassy and thought some might find this early version of someone's attempt at the badbird concept. Not sure how long ago it was done but the guy I got it from said it was on the bass when he got it at least 20 years ago. It's actually pretty well done:

Interesting! But why isn't any of the new saddle travel used for proper intonation? The saddles are all in a safe row that would have fitted in the original bridge... ???

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 03:01:47 AM »
That I don't know! It has flatwounds on it so that might be an aspect (the intonation doesn't sound far off).

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 05:43:45 AM »
Very cool! I also wondered why saddles hadn't really moved from original positions.  Pretty sure it's been rewired.  Here's mine.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 05:48:42 AM »
That's what I first thought (rewired) and it's definitely been apart to be refinished. It's only that the pots are Centralab that it made me wonder. I need to more fully take it apart to see what date codes there might be. I do think it is an early one as all the hardware is nickel. I had another Embassy which was a '66 and was all chrome except the gears and that had the usual closed CTS pots IIRC.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 05:56:11 AM »
and thanks for the clear wiring pic!

Looks like the tone cap is probably the same :)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 05:58:35 AM »
Here's the serial # on mine if it helps.  Pot codes are 66.  Hardware is chrome except tuners.  Note the 9 ply set neck.  My '64 TBird II came with a chrome bridge and tailpiece.  Go figure!

and thanks for the clear wiring pic!

Looks like the tone cap is probably the same :)
You're welcome.  I'm sure Gary will be along soon.  He's the resident Embassy expert.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 06:05:14 AM »
Yeah, my '64 t-bird has mix of nickel and chrome as was another '64 I had previously. Seems pretty typical.

Serial number is long gone on this Epiphone. Also it's painted black so no idea on neck construction. I fully assume this is covering a headstock repair but it seems well done and solid.

While I'd obviously prefer original, I also think it looks really good in black with the original white guard.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 06:47:32 AM »
That's what I first thought (rewired) and it's definitely been apart to be refinished. It's only that the pots are Centralab that it made me wonder. I need to more fully take it apart to see what date codes there might be. I do think it is an early one as all the hardware is nickel. I had another Embassy which was a '66 and was all chrome except the gears and that had the usual closed CTS pots IIRC.

Gibson did use Centralab pots here and there -  mine have them (though the closed sort vs hole in the middle).  I have seen that sort of Centralab on some piece of gear, I just can't recall what it was right now.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:58:27 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 06:52:18 AM »
Thanks.

I should dig through some of the Gibson guitar forums on the subject. I know the Centralabs are highly sought there as they were generally used on the '59-60 burst Les Pauls but those are the closed back ones. First time I've ever seen this type.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 05:33:05 AM »
Here's a shot from directly above - after checking the intonation (it was on except the G saddle had to move back slightly)

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 06:06:34 AM »

Is there anything supporting the front of the bridge?  From underneath?

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 06:30:39 AM »
Nope. It's floating and doesn't contact the body -- but note that the metal is thicker where it contacts the studs and fills that gap. Actually pretty solid - not as solid as Scott's but a pretty good effort. I really think this was done late 70s/early 80s (brass nut being a hint)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 07:02:51 AM »
  Interesting! Seems to be a well made piece of work if not a little over kill in the travel department. My first Badbird was made in '82 or '83
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 07:06:03 AM »
Cool! I even sort of wondered if this might have been an early experiment of yours as it came from not too far from you.