Author Topic: Yup, another newbie...  (Read 2789 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Yup, another newbie...
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 09:04:27 AM »
Flakiness is so common in band situations. It's certainly not limited to bassists and drummers.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 09:11:08 AM »
Oh tell me about it.  Our Singer/guitard just up and moved to Edmonton on us a month ago (luckily we just finished all the shows we'd booked, and she was only the frontperson for half the songs - there's another singer/guitard). The good news - we'll be doing more of my songs.  We're gonna carry on as a 3 piece for a while and see how it goes (lookin good so far... so much more space for everyone, literally and aurally.... actually considering busting out the EB3 again).

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 09:29:07 AM »
Um...

Mitch Mitchell.

I'm a drummer, you don't expect me to follow directions... do you?

Mitch Mitchell
 ;D
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 11:05:34 AM »
Um...

Mitch Mitchell.

I'm a drummer, you don't expect me to follow directions... do you?

Mitchell is closer to Paice than to Bonham, you qualified! I was concerned you might be another one who relishes being behind the beat.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »
Ah Germans and their meticulousness; confusing being in the pocket for laziness and sloppiness since the Prussians handed them that torch.

We're here, we're behind the beat; get used to it!  Hell, especially if it's OK for everyone else to do it, from Richards to Simonon.

... just as long as we don't all do it at the same time; we don't wanna be jazz players now do we.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »
Best behind the beat drummer ever would have to be Zigaboo Modeliste of the Meters. Feels good to me.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 03:25:30 PM »
[Prog] Neil Peart...? [/Prog]

Now Uwe, if you'd written "Between Ian Paice and Ritchie Blackmore and Ian Paice, which guitarist do you prefer? I'd have found that more in keeping with your somewhat zealot attitude, not that I consider you obsessive in any way, shape, or form, I'm sure you understand... ;D

We veer?
Why, I.......
SQUIRREL!!!!!!
What was the question?

I believe there may be a TM infringement here... :rimshot:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 03:27:15 PM »

Silly Englander.......

I'm the Queen of this locker room  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 03:29:03 PM »
Seattle muscle of love, Ja...?
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 03:46:29 PM »

;)  My boss has had nothing but "Hair Metal" on the in store music today - Puts me in a really good mood, Girls,Girls,Girls  by the Crue anyone?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:57:35 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• View Profile

drummer5359

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 10:35:50 PM »
I seriously considered answering Mick Waller... :mrgreen:
"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd.
But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 03:31:57 PM »
Best behind the beat drummer ever would have to be Zigaboo Modeliste of the Meters. Feels good to me.

Ziggy is a great drummer for sure.  I think their newer guy may be even more impressive though.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 08:48:25 AM »
Ah Germans and their meticulousness; confusing being in the pocket for laziness and sloppiness since the Prussians handed them that torch.

We're here, we're behind the beat; get used to it!  Hell, especially if it's OK for everyone else to do it, from Richards to Simonon.

... just as long as we don't all do it at the same time; we don't wanna be jazz players now do we.

I fail to hear the appeal, he drags and is sparse and ponderous, so what's so great about that? The good thing about the reunion concert was how his son didn't drag as much. This whole Bonham-infatuation is beyond me. And I don't think he could have drummed either of those two tracks, frankly, I think both would have been beyond his capabilities as a drummer, Bonham can't swing with the music, he can only ground it:

And while we're at it: I find Bonham's drumming style a lot more rigid and teutonic than Paice's!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 10:13:49 AM »
Typical white guy - can't feel the groove?  :P

He has to be 'rigid' (especially in something like Levee) otherwise it becomes a sloppy mess.  It's called being locked in.  He is a very good drummer in that he can be wild and crazy (lets say Moonish) but has the tact to not do that all the time. ... though that tact was often tossed out the window when it came to the length of his drum solos ... and not that I'm knocking Moon, he's a big influence; different things work in different situations and Zep was definitely sludgier, so a free(er)-form Moonishness wouldn't have worked as well.

It's a taste thing also for sure - I am very old school (like caveman) in that I have no issue with repetitive parts throughout a song (this comes through in my bass playing as well) as long as it is a good groove that a lead part can dance around nicely.  It's kind of a primal trance meditative thing.

I like Bonham for many of the same reasons I like other drummers - Yuval Gabay (Soul Coughing) for example.  Other fave drummers include Moon as mentioned, Topper Headon (more up your alley... except when he wasn't; Crooked Beat and jazzy moments etc) and Fuzz Townshend.... note specifically the distinct lack of Neil Pert; busy in a bad way IMHO - technically very skilled, but he's a chronic on the beat over-player; mathematical/geometric vs organic. I would consider that sort of thing undesirable even when it comes to guitar playing (with Keif being a prime example of how awesome sloppy guitar parts can be).  I guess, as a drummer, I am very in tune with where the beat is, and 50 years of pop music has really hammered home 4/4 and I am not interested in anything that is too on the nose about it, as if we couldn't figure it out otherwise. Also his kit (Pert's 30 piece monstrosity) makes me want to puke (though his Signature line of cymbals by Sabian is very good, especially the hihats).  

I don't mind the Deep Purple dude, but his style is not particularly distinct; pretty straight up drumming.  I suppose from the perspective of other band members this is a good thing (I myself have been asked by guitards to play more on the beat occasionally - they're so easy to confuse - this song is one example where the guitarist had a hard time but understood that the drum part was a big part of the song and didn't ask me to change it, so much as to help him work through it and figure it out:  http://grannygremlin.com/PTV/LonelyBoyMotel/PTV-2-BirdsNest.mp3 ... not particularly behind the beat, but the accents/stress are not always on 1 and 3).  

Paice, post Purple, has more style (even jazzy in some bits, and not on the beat), but he's still too  rigidly mathematical for my tastes, and just playing a very boring straight up 4/4 for much of that song.  ... then again, so is his lead guitarist there, that's the sort of thing it is; you can't just do what you want, it was to work as a whole. To me, messing with the accents, playing behind the beat etc, is a way of making the drums more interesting (contributing to the song more; becoming almost a melodic element) vs just keeping time (which frankly, each musician in the band should not need the drummer to do for them.... but I have played with many a guitard that needed this human metronome).  I also like cut or double time vs the rest of the song as another way of contributing musically (Ministry did this a lot, it's kind of a typical way to get that hypnotic feeling).

... so yeah, sometimes I like to drag, it's not a sign of error, but an artistic decision and it's fair to like or not like it as such.  Despite my ragging on being overly mathematical, I can appreciate that sort of thing as well, but again, mostly when it's taken to the next level (no offense, but the 70s was a long time ago, and that stuff no longer really excites me; bacjk then it was  new and refreshing if a drummer broke out of the 4/4 and did a fill that lasted longer than half a bar) - a prime example is Mathrock monsters Battles (but that gets in to odd time signatures, atonality and other things generally relegated to jazz, but it's the only kind of acute beatiness I actually like):

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:22:58 PM by Granny Gremlin »