Author Topic: RIP, Ray Manzarek  (Read 797 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
RIP, Ray Manzarek
« on: May 20, 2013, 06:40:14 PM »
I'm really sad to hear this. As a high schooler I got into the Doors and really appreciated and listened to their music a lot. Some years ago, Teri Gross of "Fresh Air", interviewed him and he showed how they developed "Light My Fire" from beginning to end. By the end of the music lesson I almost thought I could really play the piano. He'll be missed.
RIP, and thanks for all the wonderful music.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/publicist-ray-manzarek-founding-member-of-the-doors-dies-at-74-from-cancer/2013/05/20/2dec0d86-c193-11e2-9aa6-fc21ae807a8a_story.html
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: RIP, Ray Manzarek
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 07:23:34 PM »
He also did some incredible production work with one of my all-time favorite bands, X.
They covered "Soul Kitchen" on their debut album and Ray played keys on it and several other songs.

Although I was never a huge Doors fan, I really liked his work.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 07:49:47 PM »
When they were all together, they were one of the greatest bands ever.  R.I.P., Ray.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 10:20:49 PM »
I was returning from Scotland the first time I heard Riders On The Storm (around the time of release) and have always had a problem identifying Morrison's voice with his looks after that... the Doors music has been within earshot for many years - I'm not a "collector" but have had all the regular releases from vinyl, upgraded to CD and now on the ipod...

RIP Ray... maybe you and Jim can jam with Jimi again... :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 02:45:29 AM »
A great keyboarder, cool-looking geezer, instantly recognizable with his fluid lines. I have his Nite City stuff too.

And while it took me a long time to "get" the doors, I now think they were a most singular band - image, music, lyrics , even without a regular bass player!

Well, he lasted more than four deacades longer than his lead singer. I hope they were good decades.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:39:18 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...