Author Topic: Your thoughts. Motorhead tribute  (Read 5695 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Your thoughts. Motorhead tribute
« on: January 03, 2016, 08:54:49 AM »
  This may be to soon to consider but the bands touching request to keep Motorhead's music alive made me revisit this idea. I have the Rickenbacker, Marshalls (I can put up a sizable wall) voice (in the late 80's I had a original band and my voice was compared to a melodic Lemmy haha) and dare I say attitude. I'd like to put together a 1-2 hour show with seasoned local pros. I greatly value your opinions on this matter. Thanks, Scott
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

• View Profile
Re: Your thoughts. Motorhead tribute
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 10:31:30 AM »
i think a better way to keep motorhead and lemmy in your heart is to listen to the REAL music the band produced. tribute bands can't come close to instilling that feeling no matter how good they are. lemmy was a true original and can't be duplicated or imitated, unless this is just a vanity project for you.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 05:33:28 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »
I didn't like their music enough to listen to it. Regardless, it's always a shame to hear about the passing of a fine musician. Does the tribute idea have enough fans to make it worthwhile? I'm a poor judge.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 11:51:14 AM »
  Thanks guys why I asked. I'll just file it under my dumb idea column
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 11:52:58 AM »
Maybe others will chime in. I found myself wondering if they were a big enough band in the scheme of things to make the project worthwhile.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 12:03:11 PM »
  Well I wasn't expecting to make money, I thought I might be able to do it justice, my only goal really. Big headed of me I know I certainly don't mean any disrespect. Like I said dumb Idea.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 12:32:20 PM »
Not a dumb idea and not bigheaded of you. You want to pay tribute and I know you have the ability to do it. You'd be doing it for yourself and the fans, however many or few there are doesn't matter. Besides, even if it's only a one-off, Rochester must enough fans who would appreciate it.

Go for it.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 01:13:34 PM »

If there's enough music I certainly think it's a good idea Scott.
A well done tribute can be very cool - I really like Aussie Mark's Stones Tribute a lot, part of that is the attention to detail in clothes, amps, guitars etc. It's certainly worth some serious thought! 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 01:30:54 PM »
Just do it Scott. If you want to pay tribute to Lemmy and your way is to play his songs and sing them in a memorial concert, it is completely ligit in my opinion.
Follow your heart and ignore nay-sayers.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 01:54:35 PM »
Just Because 2 guys don't like Motorhead and tried o talk you out of it is NO reason to bag it. I say..If you feel it, Do it.

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 01:55:53 PM »
It couldn't hurt to try a few tunes and see if it feels right. If you're having fun, why not go for it?

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 02:34:14 PM »
If you can do the music justice, go for it.  This is the most important point.

Lemmy's estate will enjoy any royalties from recordings that are purchased as a result of you introducing people to his music.

His music is not my cup of tea, but it works for many people.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 02:58:29 PM »
If your gut says yes, you've already answered the question...

If you need to have another reason, do it initially as a charity gig, with all profits going to cancer charities... no... on second thoughts, for the hard of hearing...?  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 03:24:59 PM »
I have the Rickenbacker, Marshalls (I can put up a sizable wall) voice (in the late 80's I had a original band and my voice was compared to a melodic Lemmy haha) and dare I say attitude.

Sounds like you've got it going on... almost.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Warts-Pimples-and-Moles-Prosthetic-Halloween-Accessory/26980656
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 04:06:31 PM »
Is this what you mean...?
Something I created for my buddy in Devon some years ago... he always thought it a perfect name for a bar... :mrgreen:

We both grew up on Hawkwind and Lemmy...

ps
Think UK pub sign or "beer" mat...
pps
Fullers' beers, especially London Pride, is one of his favourite tipples...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...