Author Topic: GAS strikes again!  (Read 6468 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: GAS strikes again!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 08:34:30 PM »
 Friday sounds good! Name the time .
Same here!  Maybe we could have lunch on Friday.  I have an 11:30 doctor's appt at RGH,  shouldn't take too long.  You be around?  If not, next week might be possible.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 04:01:47 AM »

I figure I'll be done by 12 or 12:15.  I'll call you as soon as I am and we can meet.  Where would you like to go?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 06:44:05 AM »
Thanks!  My wife said the same thing!

Your wife is pure gold!  Please talk her out of retaining the G6072!
These look great - the gold tops are hot IMHO.
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 08:08:26 AM »
Your wife is pure gold!  Please talk her out of retaining the G6072!
These look great - the gold tops are hot IMHO.

She is a real gem, that's for sure!  Everyday I feel like the luckiest man on earth.  I've been blessed in so many ways by marrying her 29 years ago, cancer is just a blip in the road.

I am still thinking about the 6072, as I do have some GAS for something else!  I'll let you know!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 08:09:07 AM »

Scott, I sent you a PM, check it out.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 05:11:23 AM »
Well, things change fast around here!  I was polishing the oversized LP the other day and guess what I found?  The tailpiece inserts were coming out of the body!!!!  I mean really, I just never expected that.  As usual in these cases, the inserts weren't coming out straight up, but tilting toward the bridge.  They were up by about 1/8" or so.  I immediately loosened the strings and took it to the shop the next day.

They offered to repair it, but I have a personal policy of not keeping brand new basses that need repair if I can get away with it.  I know the bridge is fixable by pulling the inserts and dropping CA down there, but I just have an objection to doing these things on new items that should work properly out of the box!

I wanted a replacement, but Gibson has no more of them. I said how about a TB IV Special in cherry?  Fresh out.  How about any TB IV?  No gots!   I'm not a fan of their other current bass offerings.  So, I got a little irritated and said screw it and walked out with a JetGlo RIC 4003.  End of LP.  Makes you wonder what their doing down there in Nashville these days.

To be honest, I played the RIC for a couple hours at practice last night and the neck wasn't  hard to navigate after all.  Oh well............

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 05:13:40 AM »
Going down that Ric road again. :o
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 05:21:25 AM »

Hey, third time's a charm!!!  Really, after a couple weeks of playing it, I'll know if the flattened neck profile works for me.  I'm playing my 92 TB as well at practice.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 05:33:46 AM »
That's a damn shame about that LP. Beautiful bass, despite that problem, though it's inexcusable. I was really hoping you'd end up saying it was perfect and had no quality issues at all. Oh well... Good luck with the Ric! When I took my (new to me) 4001 to the local Ric guy for adjustments I saw probably 100 Rics sitting in cases waiting to go out. The quality of those things was incredible and I could see why people pay what they do for new ones.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 05:56:50 AM »
That's a damn shame about that LP. Beautiful bass, despite that problem, though it's inexcusable. I was really hoping you'd end up saying it was perfect and had no quality issues at all. Oh well... Good luck with the Ric! When I took my (new to me) 4001 to the local Ric guy for adjustments I saw probably 100 Rics sitting in cases waiting to go out. The quality of those things was incredible and I could see why people pay what they do for new ones.

Yeah, I have high expectations when I purchase something new.  The RIC seems really solid at first glance.  I just don't want to have to repair stuff out of the box.  I broke that rule with the CAR 50th. anniversary jazz cuz there aren't more any available and it was just a finish issue.  AND, I really want the darn thing!!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 07:17:22 AM »
We know that with production items, there will always be some defects that manage to get past QC inspectors. Sometimes it will be something that hasn't happened at the time of inspection, as with the posts coming out on your LP (or the finish issue on the Jazz you bought). But if it happened to you then you know it has happened to other buyers. Makes you wonder why they haven't fixed the cause at the factory. Closer tolerances, more glue, whatever it takes.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 07:42:51 AM »
We know that with production items, there will always be some defects that manage to get past QC inspectors. Sometimes it will be something that hasn't happened at the time of inspection, as with the posts coming out on your LP (or the finish issue on the Jazz you bought). But if it happened to you then you know it has happened to other buyers. Makes you wonder why they haven't fixed the cause at the factory. Closer tolerances, more glue, whatever it takes.

I agree Dave.  I think the inserts pulling loose tends to be over time with string tension, not immediate.  It's funny cuz the only thing I didn't like about the bass when I bought was the tailpiece/bridge set up.  Going away from that wonderful Warwick bridge on the previous generation LPs was frankly a dumb move by Gibson.  I've bought a couple of them from a British dealer and they are terrific.  Hat tip to German design here Uwe!  The bridge on the new LPs is a cheesy set up and can be bought on eBay for around $26.  I have an identical one in my parts drawer.  If it had been a finish issue or easily replaced hardware, I probably would have let them send it back for repairs. Inserts however, bug me!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »
Bill this GAS thing is catching, I just bought another Bach TH-1  :o

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 07:46:45 AM »

Bill has been "Ric roaded".....

I want pictures!!!!!!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 08:12:12 AM »
Gas has been KILLING me for some time now, but I just dropped around $17K on a new kitchen and some laundry room work. Plus, my cover band has imploded, so that income stops as of April 1. Something keeps telling me to buy a 5 string, and there's a cherry red TB 5 on ebay that I'm SO close to pulling the trigger on. I also have this lust for an Explorer. Thinking of buying an Epi just to satisfy the need for something new. Grr....  >:( ;)