Author Topic: Birds in formation  (Read 6500 times)

Dr Eagle

• Hogannnnnnnn!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Who-Dunnit a LIVE Tribute to The Who
Birds in formation
« on: March 12, 2011, 04:02:18 PM »
With Nav Lights!

And my new Epi Pro V with the new shiny Stainless Steel Pickguard!

einige sehr coole Bässe
Dr. Eagle
76 P Bass, 2 Carvin LB76s, 2 T Bird 5s, Warwick Buzzard 5 bolt
Carvin PB500, BX1200, Carvin 4 1x15F" cabs, Carvin 1x18" and 4x10", SWR Silverado Special 2x12", SWR Workingmans 10, Carvin PB100 Combo.

www.who-dunnit.net
A Tribute to the Who LIVE

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Birds in formation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 06:22:15 PM »

Sehr schone Donnervogel!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dr Eagle

• Hogannnnnnnn!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 07:13:15 PM »
nichts, wie Ihr äußerst vielfältig Herde
Dr. Eagle
Carvin PB500, BX1200, Carvin 4 1x15F" cabs, Carvin 1x18" and 4x10", SWR Silverado Special 2x12", SWR Workingmans 10, Carvin PB100 Combo.

www.who-dunnit.net

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 08:03:15 PM »
:D  :D Very cool!
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »
Nice flock of birds! Love the cherry studio.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 02:34:59 PM »

I think a brief explaination is in order Herr Doctor, ze lights, tell us about ze lights  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dr Eagle

• Hogannnnnnnn!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 03:20:09 PM »
I think a brief explaination is in order Herr Doctor, ze lights, tell us about ze lights  ;)

Jawol!  when we get older we start losing our visual acuity (our eyes fossilize). It is particularly bad in dark places (like a stage) so I bought these LED fret position markers for just that situation.  Now I can't imagine playing a gig without them, they double as a cool part of the show kind of visual candy with my 3 basses (I usually have 3 at a show) all with fret markers on.  www.fretfx.com
Dr. Eagle

www.who-dunnit.net

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 04:27:55 PM »
AAAAAARRRRGHHHHHHHHH....! (chronic gadget phobia)

Welcome aboard...

(but how can any self respecting WHO trib outfit not have a bassist with a FenderBird in the flock...?) ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dr Eagle

• Hogannnnnnnn!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 04:52:40 PM »
AAAAAARRRRGHHHHHHHHH....! (chronic gadget phobia)

Welcome aboard...

(but how can any self respecting WHO trib outfit not have a bassist with a FenderBird in the flock...?) ;D

Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it!

I love gadgets... just one of those things.  Drives the other half nuts. :o

I'd love a Fenderbird, but have limits to the budget for such things.  I kind of skipped from P bass (which John signed for me) to Thunderbird and then to Buzzard, missing the Fenderbird and Alembic basses John was famous for.  I may end up getting or building a Fenderbird in the future, but it is very unlikely i could ever afford one of the Alembics (Gosh those are friggin beautiful).  Perhaps next year when the annual bonus comes at my day job I'll be able to get a Fenderbird... but the wife will probably have something to say about that (less than supportive i suspect).
Dr. Eagle

www.who-dunnit.net

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 05:19:37 PM »
I know where you are coming from, Rob, but I could present you with an alternative...

Carlo has a thread running re his own (pretty high standard but suprisingly good value) JAEBirds - he was/is willing to supply a body, loaded or unloaded, fin'd or unfin'd and you have a P... (I'll discuss sales fees later, Carlo... ;))

I have a (brutalised but resurected) Peter Cook Thunderbird but no band at the moment to use it in... :sad:

I also have a very bad reputation for caring for my little herd... :vader:

Oh yeah, do post some vids in the own music thread... we have a resident JAE fan in Curt/DC10bass that has his own regular trib...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 01:37:04 AM »
It's nice to see that German is being advanced as ze längwich of zis förüm. Schöne Bässe übrigens!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 05:37:27 AM »
very nice basses! Can't imagine somebody buying a Buzzard though....;)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 05:39:52 AM »
BTW: My collection is/was also JAE inspired:

- '76 Bird
- Dano Longhorn
- Epi Rivoli
- Fiesta P
- Buzzard ;)
- BaCH Nonrev Bird
- Hiwatt

I sold my 4005. Some people hate me for that, but I never played it. Now I have a Gretsch Billy-Bo and I play it every day. So no regrets at all... And JAE had one of the original Jupiter Thunderbird guitars in his collection, so still a link:)

Dr Eagle

• Hogannnnnnnn!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 08:03:02 AM »
Nice Collection... a Buzzard?  I do like mine but have struggled a bit with the tone from it.  I ripped out the Warwick electronics and installed EMG. It did improve it some but not quite where I want it. So its a work in progress...
Dr. Eagle

www.who-dunnit.net

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 09:59:02 AM »
I have a Warwick one, neck through and with passive MEC-vintage humbuckers and passive electronics. Neck is maple and it has a mahogany top and sidewings. It has a very long neck and not much body so that affects the sound. Not in a very good way, acoustically. But played in the studio it's very modern and tight and with a tubeamp it comes alive and it cuts through the mix as the Germans through Holland in may '40. Love it.

Because of the long neck you have to play it high on your body like Entwistle or beside you like BB King. I always keep a bass beside my body, so I got used to it very fast. I'l; have to eat now, but I'll post some pics later!