Author Topic: Gibson Thunderbird pickups height  (Read 6455 times)

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Gibson Thunderbird pickups height
« on: March 26, 2010, 07:55:03 AM »
How much close to the strings you adjust the pickups on your Thunderbirds? I'm trying to adjust the Gibson pickups I put on my Epi but I can't raise them to be close enough to the strings, I think its due to the deeper route for the epis. I can get a nice sound but since they are away from the strings I don't get much output (my pee and my bach are much more louder).
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson Thunderbird pickups height
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
How far away are they? They should be very loud for passive pups. Generally TB Plus pups can be as close as to already interfere physically with the strings without any weird magnetic stuff happening.

The Epi route depth is a familiar problem.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 09:44:19 AM »
I have a Blue 65' T bird II, use a pick and mine are about 1/8th" from the strings. LOUD AS A JET!!!!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 10:21:43 AM »

When I changed the pups in my Nikki Sixx Mk.II out to Lull's I made some mahogany blocks up to fill the routs as they are quite thin compared to TB plus, it was pretty easy work I used a mitre box finishing saw and some files.
Here they are test fitted........Remember to notch the corner for the wire  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

exiledarchangel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 12:29:02 PM »
I think I'll follow Mark's advice and glue two wooden blocks on the cavities! But maybe I'll choose maple for its brighter sound! :P
Uwe, the distance from the strings is about 1cm (3/8" ) now. Damn, even my pee is louder!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:35:21 PM »
That is an unneccessarily great distance, but you might also have a set of older TB Plus pups - they've become louder over time.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 01:33:35 PM »
 Those are new pups so they should have plenty of output, my other thought here is about your wiring scheme, could the 3 way toggle have something to do with it? They were wired V T Killswitch and belive me, they had plenty of ummph.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:42:13 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 02:52:39 PM »
I try to locate pickups on my basses as close as possible to strings without having buzzes.
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 05:53:14 PM »
How thick would you make blocks to go in the pickup cavities? I may need to do this as well with my Goth-rehab bass.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

exiledarchangel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 10:24:02 AM »
Those are new pups so they should have plenty of output, my other thought here is about your wiring scheme, could the 3 way toggle have something to do with it? They were wired V T Killswitch and belive me, they had plenty of ummph.

No, I think there's nothing to do with the wiring, by missing the tone control you actually make the pups sound a little brighter (pots always bleed some highs even if they are on 10).

How thick would you make blocks to go in the pickup cavities? I may need to do this as well with my Goth-rehab bass.

I'm interested on this info too, I guess half an inch would be ok.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 11:25:25 AM »

There's a nice woodworking shop near my work they have a great selection of fine cut strip stock, I found some pieces that were 1 1/2" wide x 1/8"x 36" and 1 1/2"x 1/4" x36". I used an extra '76 pup cover as a template and cut them out with a Zona saw and a mitre box finished up with a file to round the corners. With two thickness you can glue them together and probably get the correct height.