Author Topic: Musical Instrument Passports.  (Read 604 times)

Muzikman7

• View Profile
Tony

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Musical Instrument Passports.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:54:55 AM »
I think the intention is good but the execution is improbable.

Situation: Let's say I have a Gibson/Martin/Acme instrument from the 1930's through 1970's with unobtanium inlays or pickguard.

How do I prove what material they are? Where they were sourced from (when I probably don't know)? How do I even know what products might involve me in this issue?

I can't see most musicians knowing enough to take appropriate action, or going to the trouble.

Although the current status is indeed ludicrous and completely unworkable:  "At present, musicians whose instruments contain internationally regulated wildlife products — many of them built long before CITES was established — are supposed to get export permits or certifications from every country they visit."

The good news to me personally is that I don't need to worry about it.  If I travel to another country I'm either working or on holiday, and in neither case am I going to take an instrument along.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:04:14 AM »
I think the intention is good but the execution is improbable....

Agreed. Damn near impossible in many cases, plus it would add another layer of bureaucracy in every country.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 09:09:23 AM »
And they're talking about a 3-year passport.  WTF???  It should be permanent. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 10:14:24 AM »
"Delegates attending a global biodiversity conference" just acreams bureaucracy.

It would make more sense to amend the CITES law to exempt personally owned musical instruments.