Author Topic: BaCHbird  (Read 284474 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: BaCHbird
« Reply #1830 on: July 24, 2010, 01:25:46 PM »
Today I put LaBella flats on my black TH-1. I've wanted to do that for a while but never got around to it. It sounds AWESOME with those things! Maybe it's that the flats themselves are a little quieter than the rounds but I swear the bass sounds a little more gritty. I'm glad I finally tried it out!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

eshears

• View Profile
    • Go Shears!
« Reply #1831 on: August 05, 2010, 04:23:34 PM »
I bought it. I'm pretty sure I am going to refinish my Bachbird at this point anyway so I'm not too concerned about the holes since they will be filled anyway. I am switching out the pickguard too so I will have to fill those holes too.

Have you got the TRC yet?  I'm pretty curious about these...

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: August 06, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
Yes, I just got it yesterday. I don't have an original one to compare it to but it seems to look and fit great. It doesn't fit the the holes from the stock Bachbird one but we already knew it wouldn't so that's not a surprise. Worth the money and it's a lot cheaper than the authentic ones that I have seen going for $45. I got the one with the chrome lettering, I know the originals were gold but I liked the chrome one better.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1833 on: September 06, 2010, 07:14:06 AM »
They have the TH-2 also in Dark Honeyburst now

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: September 06, 2010, 10:19:15 AM »
Dang, that's beautiful! Much prettier than the first, lighter incarnation of the Honeyburst.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: September 06, 2010, 11:20:49 AM »
Yes, I agree the darker version is much better.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: September 06, 2010, 11:29:45 AM »
Odd man out here. I like the lighter one better. The fact that it has a single pickup makes it even more attractive to me. I hope to pick one up at some point.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1837 on: September 06, 2010, 04:21:49 PM »
 I do like the dark, are they back to the thin body ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: September 08, 2010, 10:04:01 PM »
Thats looks great.
Digresion our specialty!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #1839 on: September 09, 2010, 04:24:29 AM »
I love the Honeyburst.  It looks like I won't be needing a TH-2 in my future, though.   8)
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: September 12, 2010, 09:31:36 PM »
There are 123 pages and this thread was read over 36,000 times, I give up, what's a baCHbird?

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: September 13, 2010, 08:06:31 AM »
There are 123 pages and this thread was read over 36,000 times, I give up, what's a baCHbird?

A non reverse thunderbird clone made by a czech company named Bach..
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 09:06:24 AM by jumbodbassman »
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: September 13, 2010, 08:32:49 AM »
Cheque Republic, one of those shops that converts your wages to crack cash.

:o :o :o
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:54:02 PM by PhilT »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #1843 on: September 13, 2010, 09:02:41 AM »

Actually it's B and CH Musik.  Thus, the odd spelling of BaCH.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: September 13, 2010, 09:05:13 AM »
finally got around to getting the bachbird TH-1 gig ready.   My company, GE, has shut down photobucket for me so i will have to post some pictures from my home but here are some details..

New chinese TRC.  Gold Gibson -  somewhat larger than the  Bach version so none of the screws lines up but looks pretty good.  Any ideas how to get the Bach name removed from the headstock besides the paint or electrical tape..

Nice new set of Labella Hard Rock RW.  45-105 .   neck needed significant tightening to handle the strings as the bach strings are really thin chinese stuff...  originall tried to put a different set on (the brand with the 4 color ends GHS?  but the e string had steps that where giving the nut pulling issues)  I have loved Labella deep talking strings since 83 when i stopped using rotos except for my rics but have never tried the Hard Rocking.  Got them from Imperialguitars when i ordered some flats just because they have a tbird on the cover and there were on sale..  I like them alot.  first real test is tonight at a studio with one of my groups thru an SVT.  this group plays the heaviest stuff I do ( Zepp, Cactus, humble Pie, Hendrix) and tunes down to Eb so the 105 works well....

Lull Pickup  -
Replaced the pickup and new CTS 500K pots and good quality wire.    As i was taking out the old stuff the ground wire came sliding right out without any resistance so I am sure it was not ever connected.  Bass used to buzz slightly but i asumed it was just the bach pups in combination with my florescent lights in my workshop.. I didn't want to pull out the "gromets"  from the body and ruin the finish so i decided to drill a new channel to the stop piece more like a fender bridge.  Rather uneventfull -  thank god....

Next was the pickup -  slightly longer and wider than the bach pup.  The body route was big enough but much deeperthan needed.  Used some hard rubber (about 5/8) in the body  and then fender softer rubber on the back of the pickup to give it flexibility for now.  I will have to fill in the rout some like mark's basses  had done to give it some more teeth for the screws and maybe height if needed.... The pickguard is where the different sizes show up.  so i attacked with the dremel.  It turns out the original guard was never fitted correctly as it was slightly twisted and the little tails by the neck stood up a little on the e string side. That got addressed of course after i had resized it so a little space  resulted.  i happened to order the ring with the pickup in anticipation of adding a bridge pup so i installed as an easy fix for now till i get around to getting a new PG from Scott.  I know it is incorrect but it looks really good with the ring.  the chrome just jumps out.  

Then i plugged it in to my little old univox amp in my workshop.  NOW THIS IS WHAT I WAS WAITING TO HEAR.  The bass just opened up and sang to me....   I can't say whether it was the pickup more than the pots (as some have said it made a huge difference ) but the combination with some real strings was amazing.  I highly recommend......

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 09:15:58 AM by jumbodbassman »
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM