Author Topic: BaCHbird  (Read 283164 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Re: BaCHbird
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2008, 09:35:32 PM »
Swedes, Germans -  as long as they're Lutheran, who's counting?  Kinda like Fargo and Moorhead - you know you're in ND when you find gambling tables in the bars.  Other than that, not a whole lotta difference.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2008, 10:26:08 PM »

Fargo eh,  like body parts in the woodchipper   ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2008, 08:22:28 AM »
Swedes, Germans -  as long as they're Lutheran, who's counting?  Kinda like Fargo and Moorhead - you know you're in ND when you find gambling tables in the bars.  Other than that, not a whole lotta difference.

Try going to up to either Fargo or Moorhead and telling the locals there's not a lot of difference... you might wind up the woodchipper!  ;D

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2008, 09:45:08 AM »
It is tough up here in the land of ruff (roof) and rut (root).  You should see what happens when I tell 'em there is no difference between IA, WI, ND, SD, and MN.  All the same to me.  Drive's them batty.

It only gets different when they say measure as "mayzhure."
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2008, 01:38:37 PM »
It is tough up here in the land of ruff (roof) and rut (root).  You should see what happens when I tell 'em there is no difference between IA, WI, ND, SD, and MN.  All the same to me.  Drive's them batty.

It only gets different when they say measure as "mayzhure."

Come January, you should go to the annual lutefisk dinner at First Lutheran in Columbia Heights. Stand up and loudly ask "aren't Norwegian, Swedes and Germans all the same?"

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2008, 03:33:27 PM »
Come January, you should go to the annual lutefisk dinner at First Lutheran in Columbia Heights. Stand up and loudly ask "aren't Norwegian, Swedes and Germans all the same?"

Ask a German if he is into lutefisk (correct Swedish spelling is lutfisk).

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2008, 04:37:58 PM »

Which then brings on the question: Have you eaten lutfisk?

Not that we Amis don't have some of our own *questionable* delicacies  :rolleyes:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2008, 09:27:38 PM »
Yes, and I survived. It's just not something I'd ever choose to eat unless I were starving.

About a year ago, Cracked.com listed lutefisk in its "6 most terrifying foods" list. It was actually the most appetizing looking food on the list.

Here's a tribute that originally appeared in a Scandinavian-American joke book by Red Stangeland: O Lutefisk

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2008, 02:04:04 AM »
I tried it once. Let's just say there are better food on the Christmas table.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2008, 03:27:21 AM »
The point with the lutfisk is to have a soft ending to all the fat in the Christmas food. The lutfisk is very smooth, only spiced with salt and allspice, and should be served with a gentle bechamel, with or without nutmeg, and potatoes. For drink I would suggest a dark, maybe a little sweet, beer. And, of course, the schnaps!
As I understand it, the lutfisk is, at times, confused with the fermented Baltic herring. Now, that is for people who never tried, or smelled, the fermented herring. The smell of it can, for the not initiated, be mistaken for stink, when it is in fact an odour! I had fermented herring as late as last Sunday, at my wifes parents place. Complete with perfectly chopped onion, potatoes, flatbread, beer, and, again, schnaps! Lovely, partners, lovely!!! And it stays so strong in the stomach, that even as late as last night, my wife, who only eats two fishes (myself like 5-6 of them) gave me the eye.
There's been situations when I've had a gig in direct connection to an evening with fermented herring. Let's just say my band mates are indulgent.
But enough talk now: if any of you guys ever visits northern Sweden, I would really like to give you a schooling in how to eat both the herring and the lutfisk. And as an extra bonus I would throw in a couple of schnapses! Aalborgs aquavit, a Danish schnaps, and the Best. And we would, of course, to not lose direction in the Forum, talk about Gibson basses. Of and on, between the chewings.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
the birds have hatched!
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2008, 01:25:14 PM »
Y'all have email.

If you didn't get any,
you're either not on my list
or the email address that I have is obsolete
(or may my mail is in the spam box)

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2008, 01:53:18 PM »

Yay!!  Thanks, Rob!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2008, 02:01:47 PM »
Patience wins out in the end!  I'm ready for one!  Thanks for your efforts on our behalf Rob!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2008, 02:12:12 PM »

YAYBIA!!!!!!!

Thank You Rob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Low End Theorist

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2008, 04:41:04 PM »
Rob, tonight we drink to you.
(and also to a change in leadership over here in the U.S.)

Thanks for all your efforts m'man.