Author Topic: Poor Sweet Baby II: Electric Boogaloo from Kalamazoo  (Read 1373 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Sweet Baby II: Electric Boogaloo from Kalamazoo
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 06:42:50 PM »
That headstock! I've seen a few Newports with it but not any Embassys. Looks like a mess either way.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 09:33:25 PM »
Uff da.

A $900 beat-to-shit carcass with a godawful grafted-on "reshaped" headstock repair isn't what I'd call "your opportunity to make an affordable Embassy bass"  :o

By comparison, it makes the $6500 Sheryl Crow Embassy look like a bargain.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 08:25:56 AM »
I actually think they took a broken 60s Gibby neck and scarf joined the headstock on (Epi's didn't have the same open book shape at the tip right? the holes left by the tuners are dead giveaway for era, but Epi used the same ones).  Don't think you could reshape an actual Embassy headstock to that - not wide enough for the paddle and no sign of grafted on pieces.  Red stain under the black overspray and what looks like honduras maho grain in the sanded bit make me think it's not just a ho despite lack of crown inlay on the front.  Or a slightly reshape 2x2 Newport headstock (tip  bit cut back to more Gibby style and nut-end width reduced) which could also explain lack of crown inlay but I find it unlikely that someone would bother with that work. The open grain on the front could be a sign that the inlay was sanded away.

From the text you can tell the seller himself isn't certain what happened there; probably flipping a project he never got around too.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 08:35:33 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »
I actually think they took a broken 60s Gibby neck and scarf joined the headstock on (Epi's didn't have the same open book shape at the tip right? the holes left by the tuners are dead giveaway for era, but Epi used the same ones).  Don't think you could reshape an actual Embassy headstock to that - not wide enough for the paddle and no sign of grafted on pieces.  Red stain under the black overspray and what looks like honduras maho grain in the sanded bit make me think it's not just a ho despite lack of crown inlay on the front.  Or a slightly reshape 2x2 Newport headstock (tip  bit cut back to more Gibby style and nut-end width reduced) which could also explain lack of crown inlay but I find it unlikely that someone would bother with that work. The open grain on the front could be a sign that the inlay was sanded away.

From the text you can tell the seller himself isn't certain what happened there; probably flipping a project he never got around too.

Could be a 2x2 Epi headstock but the fact that it's sanded makes me think it's more likely a reshaped Gibson.

Maybe he's flipping it b/c he ran out of Bondo.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 07:41:51 AM »
Still not quite there IMHO, but at least the dude dropped the price. It now is in the ballpark for a carcass embassy without a headstock graft.

Also, I'm not sure I like ebay emailing me about that price drop after just looking at the auction once; if I was inter4ested, I would have saved it to my watched list.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 11:36:09 AM »
Yeah, still way too high for what it is.