Author Topic: The new Gene Bird is out!  (Read 2188 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: The new Gene Bird is out!
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2021, 03:47:28 PM »
I think we can rest assured that if the Genebird was neck-thru, they would have mentioned it in the specs (you don't forget something value-enhancing like that) AND made it clearer via the design that it is. They simply didn't care enough for the TBird Rev heritage to deem it a crucial ingredient.

PS: Your long scale Junior is lovely, Rob!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2021, 09:31:18 AM »
Your Jr is a beauty and I understand why you did that.  I just find it so remotely unlikely that Gibson would do that when the reasons you did so do not apply to the G2 at all, that it's triggered argument mode.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2021, 05:44:52 AM »
Actually, it's more Gibson's fault than Gene's. Nobody expects him to sit down and give thought by his own to the idea how to improve a TBird or align it more with his personal tastes. What they should have done (and looking at the result most likely did not do), was to simply ask him questions:

- What kind of woods do you prefer? TBirds are traditionally maho, but we have inter alia the option to use a different wood for the body wings.

- Shall we juggle with the center of gravity or the placement of the strap buttons so it balances more to your liking?

- Shall we equip it with active pups or an active circuit?

- What neck structure do you want? Neck-thru like your Punishers, bolt-on like the Grabber you preferred for a long time in the 70ies or set neck like your Ripper?

- Hipshot D-tuner?

- You're a tall guy, shall we extend the neck to make it double octave or turn it medium scale (you've played smaller scales in the past) so the nut doesn't reach out too far? Bevel the cutaway for better high register access?

It coudn't have been so hard to come up with some ideas for Gene to reflect upon! The man has been around long enough for Gibson to (at least get to) know what his preferences with basses are. What you get when actually closely cooperating with a name musician for a signature model is shown by the enduring production lifespan and popularity of the Epiphone Jack Casady Signature which in a few weeks will see its 25th production year! And I wager to guess that quite a few more people have heard of Gene Simmons rather than of Jack Casady. What a mess. They weren't even creative enough to do the obvious and name the bass GoTBird, i.e. God of Thunderbird!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 11:14:51 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2021, 09:07:11 PM »
Actually, it's more Gibson's fault than Gene's. Nobody expects him to sit down and give thought by his own to the idea how to improve a TBird or align it more with his personal tastes. What they should have done (and looking at the result most likely did not do), was to simply ask him questions:

- What kind of woods do you prefer? TBirds are traditionally maho, but we have inter alia the option to use a different wood for the body wings.

- Shall we juggle with the center of gravity or the placement of the strap buttons so it balances more to your liking?

- Shall we equip it with active pups or an active circuit?

- What neck structure do you want? Neck-thru like your Punishers, bolt-on like the Grabber you preferred for a long time in the 70ies or set neck like your Ripper?

- Hipshot D-tuner?

- You're a tall guy, shall we extend the neck to make it double octave or turn it medium scale (you've played smaller scales in the past) so the nut doesn't reach out too far? Bevel the cutaway for better high register access?

It coudn't have been so hard to come up with some ideas for Gene to reflect upon! The man has been around long enough for Gibson to (at least get to) know what his preferences with basses are. What you get when actually closely cooperating with a name musician for a signature model is shown by the enduring production lifespan and popularity of the Epiphone Jack Casady Signature which in a few weeks will see its 25th production year! And I wager to guess that quite a few more people have heard of Gene Simmons rather than of Jack Casady. What a mess. They weren't even creative enough to do the obvious and name the bass GoTBird, i.e. God of Thunderbird!  :mrgreen:

That would make sense, but that's not the way Gibson usually does things, and if they did, they still would do what they want in the long run.

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2021, 09:55:26 AM »
Don't think it is out quite yet, looks like the page has been taken down.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2021, 11:39:17 AM »
They're taken it back to the drawing board, it nöw rests in ze säme krypt as ze Continental V !!!  :rimshot:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2021, 11:50:30 AM »
They're taken it back to the drawing board, it nöw rests in ze säme krypt as ze Continental V !!!  :rimshot:

I've noticed they've stopped with the "Mod Shop" releases as well a shame there, as some cool stuff came out. FWIW I don't mind a Thunderbird based on the "Studio" model, mine is great sounding bass the TB Plus pickups sound quite nice when used with set neck construction, much as I wish they were chrome covered I'd never change them out on this bass.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...