Author Topic: Dire financial situation at Gibson?  (Read 28676 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Dire financial situation at Gibson?
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2018, 12:34:53 PM »
The Vapors tune is slang for er... a Nasty Habit...? ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »
I tend to agree.  Gibson is already a premium brand, so continuing US production should be affordable with good management. I think Gibson would lose a lot of cache' if production moved overseas.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2018, 04:16:08 PM »
It's hard to see Gibson producing overseas when there's already Epiphone selling budget Chinese versions of the same basic design.

But then, Fender has shown it can get more complex than that...  I suppose it's not impossible that we'd have something similar, like MIM or MIJ Gibsons priced below the premium MIA models. Who knows.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2018, 04:20:36 PM »
I think there'd be room for something like Fender's MIA and MIM basses. Epi is positioned as the affordable line, but there's room to play with various models.

And the first direction they should head is those vintage designs that Henry disdains.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2018, 06:38:20 PM »
Whatever happens with Gibson, I can't see any new ownership abandoning USA production. Expansion elsewhere is always possible.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2018, 11:00:11 PM »
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:14:36 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2018, 11:13:52 PM »
The Vapors tune is slang for er... a Nasty Habit...? ;)

Supposedly, the song is just about a guy losing his girlfriend and being understandably unhappy about it.  I think the theory that the song was about a nasty habit has been debunked. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2018, 02:12:28 AM »
Even if Yamaha takes over Gibson, they would be stupid NOT to produce in the USA. I think more brands are owned by foreign companies than we know.

Lotus is a quintessential British car brand, but 51% Chinese. Aston Martin is - I think - owned by a consortium of European, Kuwaiti and Asian companies. Our Dutch truck brand DAF, which is as Dutch as tulips, wooden shoes, windmills and Rob van den Broek's criticism is owned by Paccar, which also has Peterbilt and Kenworth. So Gibson can be as US as it can be and still owned by Yamaha or any other company. 

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2018, 03:11:33 AM »
Yamaha as a brand is no stranger to U.S production. They make/has made for example upright pianos, amplifiers and on the automotive side ATV's in the U.S.A.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2018, 06:02:57 AM »
I am sure, your new President will see to it that US production is retained and that non-US-Gibson instruments will certainly not be cheaper for the consumer.  :mrgreen:

Unless North Korea gets a guitar plant and tariff privileges for abandoning its nuclear arms.  :rimshot:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2018, 08:27:01 AM »
Introducing....The TariffCaster!!

No, wait, wrong brand.....

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2018, 08:33:02 AM »
Gib Son Un?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2018, 09:08:09 AM »
Volvo has been owned by a Chinese company since about 2010. They're still building them in Sweden and they're building a new plant in South Carolina. They have opened a couple of factories in China, but that's their biggest market.

Also, not widely known, that all-American brand Tacoma Guitars was originally owned by Young Chang Piano of South Korea. It was started as an offshoot of their lumber mill in Washington.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2018, 10:08:27 AM »
I have no issues with Asian-owned Western brands at all, they are generally responsible entrepreneurs. Both Volvo (who have also retained their facilities in The Netherlands where the 60 and 40 models are built on the old DAF premises) and Jaguar have benefitted immensely from their Chinese and Indian owners, after decades of being less than love children of their previous Western owners.

It's an interesting development.  :popcorn:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2018, 10:54:27 AM »

Introducing....The TariffCaster!!

8) BRILLIANT!

Gib Son Un?

;D Enlightening