Author Topic: U - boat graveyard  (Read 3478 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: U - boat graveyard
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 01:20:05 PM »
Dang!!  There is so much that's yet to be found underwater.  AMAZING that these went undiscovered for so many years.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 04:20:35 PM »
Nothing on BBC yet...?

"Summer silly season" stuff...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 04:23:56 PM »

Kenny, let's organize a visit to Scapa Flow  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 01:31:50 PM »
Nothing on BBC yet...?

"Summer silly season" stuff...?

There's other stuff dominating the BBC News channel at the moment.  I'm already sick of it.
P
The future I come from no longer exists.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 01:38:38 PM »
There's other stuff dominating the BBC News channel at the moment.  I'm already sick of it.
P

Here (Seattle) too........

Do people really have so little to actually care about?   ???
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 02:02:22 PM »
I think they should call it Kong.  Wouldn't that be a thing?
The future I come from no longer exists.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 02:37:53 PM »
I think they should call it Kong.  Wouldn't that be a thing?

LOL!

That would be pretty damm funny...............

Not quite dry enough for Brit humor tho  ;)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 02:44:07 PM »
Kenny, let's organize a visit to Scapa Flow  ;)

That's do-able ... Via the Scapa distillery...? a nice wee dram ... and I mean really nice, especially considering how young the distillery is ... :toast:

Oh yeah, and it's a boy ...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:59:09 PM by CAR-54 »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 02:48:21 PM »

I bet they name him Radcliff....... :bored:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 08:25:32 PM »
I vote for Buford T. Justis.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 10:01:20 PM »
I vote for Shemp.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 04:12:41 AM »
Why all in the same place? Did they sink their ships there following the armisitice in some ghastly ritual?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 09:07:22 AM »
Why all in the same place? Did they sink their ships there following the armisitice in some ghastly ritual?

Ritual, yes. Ghastly, no. The defeated german Navy was proud - they did go head-to-head with the Royal Navy at Jutland in 1916. They did not feel defeated but as part of the Armistice were forced to sail to Scapa Flow to surrender their proud ships to the Royal Navy, ( They would have been scrapped for the steel or used as targets)  their officers and crews in defiance conducted a mass scuttling rather than have their ships meet such fates........
The Kreigsmarine took a measure of revenge in WWII of course, Gunther Prien in U-47 slipped the nets and entered the anchorage and torpedoed the Royal Navy's battleshiip Royal Oak in a daring action, Prien was killed in action later in the war, and of course the Royal Navy lost it's century long domination of the oceans to the acsendant U.S. Navy.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »
Destruction of that stuff after armistice or surrender is just a bloody waste of assets, does no good to no one. Not to mention the poor crews.

All German victories against the Royal Navy came at an incredible cost in men and material and were at best fleeting (no pun intended), regularly we got our asses kicked. But it's true what you say about Scapa Flow and Prien: The operation was masterminded by Dönitz, then admiral of the U-Boats, later on of the whole German navy, also Hitler's successor in the last days of the Reich, who was a U-Boat commander in WW I where the same thing was tried but failed. Plans for a (renewed) submarine sneak attack on Scapa Flow went as far back as pre-war thirties, the German Navy dreaming and scheming.

The strategic effect was nil though: The Royal Oak sunk by Prien was a swimming WW I museum that wouldn't have seen action against Germany's new line of battleships and cruisers anyway (all of them of 30ies origin, anything else we had was scuttled in Scapa Flow following the Versailles Treaty). Again poor crew though.

I was in Scapa Flow/Scotland two years ago - in every church there is a memorial plaque for the casualities, but the Scots - good sports that they are - never fail to mention "sunk by Captain Günther Prien and his crew in U-Boat ...", more than grudging respect.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:55:22 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...