Author Topic: Anybody a welder?  (Read 686 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Anybody a welder?
« on: July 20, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »
I've just picked up a little 70 amp stick welder.  I'm welding up a gift for one of my customers, out of 3/8" and 1/4" round, mild, bar stock and it is not going as well as I would like.  My expectations were very low and, needless to say, I've underwhelmed myself :sad:

If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: Anybody a welder?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 04:47:33 PM »
I used to weld when I worked on a farm in a previous life. (early '70s) Keep the stick moving and practice a lot. Practice running beads on flat bar stock, then try joining flat pieces together. Cut your pieces so they come together without spaces. You can fill a space with a weld, but it's not easy for a beginner. And tack a peice on two or more sides and then go back and weld it or the heat from the welder will push it onto an angle.

Good Luck.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 07:00:57 PM »
A few years ago I took a welding class and had a blast. Unfortunately, stick welding was completely beyond me and I finally told the instructor, "Trying to teach me stick welding is a colossal waste of your time."

Now oxyacetylene was a different story. Totally made sense to me and brazing with gas was a breeze.

In any case, practice as mentioned, and you'll at least have fun!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 08:52:05 PM »
Thanks guys - I got the project finished but it's not pretty.  I ordered some 1/16" 6013 EZ rods when I ordered the welder - supposedly easier to draw an arc.  I go those to arc just fine but they're messy to say the least.  After I had pretty much killed the entire package I tried the 1/8" rods and got those to arc, finally, - these made a much neater weld but still beyond ugly.  But you're right - after 25 rods burnt I got a little better - at this rate in 200 more I may have something that's presentable :rolleyes:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 01:17:07 AM »
You know the rules ... pictures ...  :popcorn:

(revenge is a dish best served at high ampage...) ;D

Did welding as part of my apprenticeship ... mid seventies and managed to avoid it since...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 12:15:56 PM »
Geez Kenny, I'd have to set up a photo sharing account - finally :-[

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 01:20:56 PM »
Unfortunately, there's no substitute for lots of practice...works for welding, too. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 04:00:55 PM »
Geez Kenny, I'd have to set up a photo sharing account - finally :-[

;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...