Author Topic: For those who use a chorus pedal  (Read 1218 times)

Tim Brosnan

• View Profile
For those who use a chorus pedal
« on: August 14, 2014, 06:17:26 PM »
Just wondering, for those who use a chorus pedal, which one is your favorite, and why? I had a Boss pedal a few years back, but sold it, because it just didn't work for me.  Thanks for your opinions.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: For those who use a chorus pedal
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 02:01:01 AM »
I've been using the ElectroHarmonix POG2 a lot lately. One of the presets on my POG 2 is a Flanging / Chorus effect. I like it a lot.
The POG2 is a versatile stompbox with lots of cool options that can work as a simple octaver or flanger but also give you a very nice Hammond with Leslie effect. Or twelve string simulation etc

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:50:51 AM by Basvarken »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 07:31:17 AM »
I used a Boss bass chorus for a long time. I really don't use it much, so I'm not TOO picky. I recently switched to the purple Ibanez chorus. Had one in the 80s and really liked it, and still do.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 03:25:31 PM »
I am GASing for a POG so hard.  Didn't know the POG2 did chorus/flange I just wanted it for the octaves... if that's so I could sell my other chorus (which I really like but would have to make room on the pedalboard): MXR stereo chorus (I never use it in stereo) - modern version w 5 knobs not the old wall plug only 3 knob one.

I like the Boss on geetar, but not so much on bass.  The MXR has a bass filter, ostensibly to not muddy things up by not chorussing the lowest notes, but I don't always use it.  Some rigs/rooms need it and others don't.

The best chorus I ever used (don't think I tried it on bass) was the "hexachorus" preset on my Roland UA-100 (first commercially available USB sound card/recording interface).  Roland owns Boss so it basically had soft versions of every Boss pedal ever, except that there were a million more parameters vs the usual 3-4 knobs (this was often waaaay too many options) so this hexachorus was a preset based on the soft version of the standard Boss Chorus pedal, but sooooo much better. So lush.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:44:24 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 09:48:41 PM »
I miss my Bass Whammy pedal.  It had a "detune" setting that I used as a sort of chorus effect.  I liked it.  Lost long ago :(
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 07:43:14 AM »
I have a love/hate relationship with chorus for bass. It's a wonderful sound, used selectively. On the other hand, there's all those Jeff Berlin jokes...

My current chorus of choice is the one that is built into my Crate BT350 head. I like not having to deal with cables for FX, and it is a pretty nice sounding circuit. I had a Boss CEB-3 for awhile. Solid unit, but it didn't really blow my skirt up. Still the BEST, however, was the one that Fender built into the M-80 Bass combo I had back in the 90s. I don't know what it was - the schematic shows nothing really special about it - but that thing sounded HUGE onstage. I had a guy who worked for Eventide come up to me at a gig and ask what I was using, because he thought it was the nicest chorus effect he ever heard on a bass. He was dumbfounded when I told him what it was. I've been looking for another of those amps (or the head version) on the cheap for a few years now, simply because of that chorus. The amp itself was no big deal. Even thought about having somebody build be a stompbox via the schematic...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 09:13:16 PM »
I liked the chorus on my Crate BT350 a lot. I used the Hell out of it in at the time.

I recently picked up an EXH Small Clone pedal. I like it so far but I haven't spent enough time with it to recommend it or not.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT