Author Topic: Quotes Being Deleted  (Read 2212 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Quotes Being Deleted
« on: February 25, 2014, 11:32:06 AM »
Of course, I can't be specific, but something really strange happened to me on another board.  The discussion was Hendrix.  I simply quoted something he said in a concert as part of my contribution to the topic.  I was just paraphrasing him, but it was something to the effect that he said he was dedicating a song to all the plainclothes policemen and all the other goof balls out there.  That's all there was to it.  I wasn't calling anybody a goof ball myself; I wasn't even agreeing with Hendrix's comment.  In fact, that isn't something I would say myself.  I don't even know any plainclothes policemen, although I do have a relative who used to be a police chief.  But he wasn't a goof ball and I suspect most people like that aren't.  I've been going to that board since 2005.  I've never had any problems like that at all.  For the record, it is a bass board.  I've gone to several through the years.  I don't plan to go back, though.  If they can censor that, then that's just too arbitrary for me.  I don't know what's next there, maybe censoring Ringo's comments about wanting to be a Powerpuff Girl.  So, it looks like this really is the last bass outpost for me. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes Being Deleted
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 11:52:51 AM »
That does sound a bit extreme.  Speech isn't as free as it once was!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 12:09:12 PM »
I used to frequent a music board like that.  The owner had a number of hot topic items that were forbidden, even though he often started threads on his own no-fly list.  I was removed from the board when I posted a link - not even an opinion or commentary - about how the California wine industry would suffer with global warming.  People came and went from that board pretty frequently.  I finally dropped off because I didn't feel paying $30/year with censorship of participation were a good mix.  The internet really isn't free...you're always playing in someone else's sandbox.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 12:18:09 PM »
I dropped the F-bomb in a post here recently and it was automatically changed to something like F*&$%@. Are we not men?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 01:42:54 PM »
I dropped the F-bomb in a post here recently and it was automatically changed to something like F*&$%@. Are we not men?

I thought that it was evident by the humor and language that we rate a solid PG-13!  ;)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 02:29:03 PM »
I was banned from a brand-specific forum with a highly conservative bent for making a comment about Rush Limbaugh.  It happens.  Boards have owners, owners have their rules and their biases.  Such is life.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 03:15:41 PM »
I used to frequent a music board like that.  The owner had a number of hot topic items that were forbidden, even though he often started threads on his own no-fly list.  I was removed from the board when I posted a link - not even an opinion or commentary - about how the California wine industry would suffer with global warming.  People came and went from that board pretty frequently.  I finally dropped off because I didn't feel paying $30/year with censorship of participation were a good mix.  The internet really isn't free...you're always playing in someone else's sandbox.

I was banned from a brand-specific forum with a highly conservative bent for making a comment about Rush Limbaugh.  It happens.  Boards have owners, owners have their rules and their biases.  Such is life.

You're both talking about the same forum. And you know that there's a strict no-politics rule, unless you're talking about politics the owner likes. Then it's okay.  :rolleyes:

I haven't been there in a good three or more years, all the interesting people left or were banned.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 03:26:52 PM »
You're both talking about the same forum. And you know that there's a strict no-politics rule, unless you're talking about politics the owner likes. Then it's okay.  :rolleyes:

I haven't been there in a good three or more years, all the interesting people left or were banned.

Yeah, some ne'er-do-well there branded me as waving my Epi Freak Flag all the time.  Wonder where he ended up?   :o

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 03:33:15 PM »
Anyway, you can't please everyone. Maybe your Hendrix comments were just misinterpreted, it might help if you asked. Or it might just be someone being petty and vindictive.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 03:34:22 PM »
Yeah, some ne'er-do-well there branded me as waving my Epi Freak Flag all the time.  Wonder where he ended up?   :o

I think I may have said that at the Pit. Either way, it's true!  ;D

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 03:52:02 PM »
Anyway, you can't please everyone. Maybe your Hendrix comments were just misinterpreted, it might help if you asked. Or it might just be someone being petty and vindictive.

Based on some of the things I've seen there recently, most likely petty and vindictive.  Whatever it was, being there is more trouble than it's worth; that's for sure.  This had "last straw" written all over it. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 03:55:34 PM »
I think I may have said that at the Pit. Either way, it's true!  ;D

And proud of it, I might add.   8)

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 07:20:13 PM »
 :rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot:

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 05:27:18 AM »
Everything here has been very cool. Even when things have some very opposite points of view, it boils down to a " let's just agree to disagree" thing. My hat's off to everyone here , and a special thanks to Dave and Ewe for hosting this place ;D.
Rick

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 07:09:08 AM »
What is the other site?