Author Topic: Beware of Mr. Baker  (Read 752 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Beware of Mr. Baker
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:04:12 AM »
http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/beware-of-mr-baker-honors-ginger-baker-as-an-innovative-drummer-escapes-his-presence-with-minor-injuries/Content?oid=3241909

I've read several articles about this documentary over the past few months, but this "Nashville Scene" article that just came out today is one of the best, IMO.  I'm even more interested in this than the Eagles' documentary, although it's looks like this is going to be another grim one. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Beware of Mr. Baker
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 05:41:40 PM »
Ginger was a crank as far back as his days with Graham Bond, so no big surprise there.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 06:01:35 PM »
I think the only surprises might be from interviews with various people commenting on Baker.  The person making the documentary did do quite a lot of work it seems.  I talked to someone who saw it months ago.  He liked it, but I didn't get many details.  He was the one who emphasized that he liked the interviews which intersperse the documentary.  (I think mostly from drummers, but from other musicians, too.  I'm not sure.)  I've seen that clip with Ginger breaking the guy's nose with a cane.  I have to say it clearly does make Ginger Baker look like quite a disturbed person. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:31:16 PM by westen »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 06:37:52 AM »
Another diysfunctional group!  :mrgreen: I read the recently slated re-reunion of Cream failed when - for a change - Ginger offended Eric and not Jack.

Baker is a nutcase, but I like his drumming which defies traditional role confinement.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...