Author Topic: Hofner again...  (Read 26196 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Hofner again...
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2012, 05:00:08 PM »
I've read that the heavier the bridge is, the harder it is for the top to vibrate. The same principle might apply to a bridge with too much contact area.

Brad (hollowbody) ought to know, he does violin repair.

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2012, 05:57:28 PM »
Correct, Dave.  On a violin, it's a balancing act between mass and stiffness.  You want the bridge to be as thin as possible to allow the top to vibrate freely but still be strong enough to support the string tension.  It probably won't make too much of a difference if you were to put a solid bridge on it but I think it would look funny.

I do wonder about that "soundpost."  It appears to be in a position that wouldn't do much for sound.  More than likely it's there for structural support.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2012, 11:48:56 PM »
The bridge feet should be in full and perfect contact with the top for optimal sound. That's the case with all violin/viol family instruments. I remember my upright before and after having the bridge done... it's critical.

Copacetic, any violin maker can shape it for you. They rub chalk under the bridge feet and check the "stamp" on the body until it's a perfect fit.

Uwe: The top should be flexible, but that's what the f-holes are for. Their sole purpose is to make the area of the top surrounding the bridge vibrate more freely. Good contact of the bridge transfers the string energy to the top, and the f-holes help it vibrate. That is why violins don't have round sound holes like guitars.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

ThunderBucker

• View Profile
    • ThunderBucker Ranch - quality pickups and homebrew
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2012, 08:56:35 AM »
Okay, I'm giving up on the pickup. Bought this 60's Hofner pickup off eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180935982978?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_716

Maybe later I'll try to fix the original pickup.

wow that looks just like the pickups on my japanese Pan bass.  I guess Hofner is where they cloned them from .  I'd be happy to fix that pickup for you, mainly just to see whats inside.  It might just be an internal solder joint.  Charge a nominal fee-not much, tho I might have to buy a reel of wire, if it turns out to be something I don't stock. email at thunderbucker@gmail.com

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2012, 09:23:53 AM »
Oops, I put it yesterday on eBay and it already has one bid! Do you think I can still pull it?

EDIT: I can't end the auction. Still 5 days to go. I'll think of something.

Anyway, a friend who occasionally rewinds vintage pickups took it apart and said it's not just a simple broken solder joint. One coil is OK and the other one is dead. It's a very thin wire, btw, significantly thinner than Fender wire.

I figured that if I can buy a working period-correct pickup for $125, that's a good deal.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:36:25 AM by ilan »

ThunderBucker

• View Profile
    • ThunderBucker Ranch - quality pickups and homebrew
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2012, 09:39:16 AM »
Oops, I put it yesterday on eBay and it already has one bid! Do you think I can still pull it?

Anyway, a friend who occasionally rewinds vintage pickups took it apart and said it's not just a simple broken solder joint. One coil is OK and the other one is dead. It's a very thin wire, btw, significantly thinner than Fender wire.

I figured that if I can buy a working period-correct pickup for $125, that's a good deal.

No worries, if you end up needing it fixed, let me know. It'll cost just a little more than a spool of wire, about $40-50 (that counts shipping).  I am curious about what is inside these things...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2012, 09:54:25 AM »
Do you think I can still pull it?

Ilan- you can end an auction with bids if its >12 hours before the auction's end.  You have to first cancel the bid, and then it should let you end the auction.  I had to do that once to accomodate the sale of an item outside of ebay.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2012, 08:46:50 AM »
I cancelled the 3 bids and now I get this:

These listings cannot be edited, because of following restrictions:

Item #261083313745 - Vintage 1964 Hofner bass pickup - not working, for restoration or parts

This feature cannot be used with this item because it is an Auction-style Format item

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2012, 09:01:45 AM »
I cancelled the 3 bids and now I get this:

These listings cannot be edited, because of following restrictions:

Item #261083313745 - Vintage 1964 Hofner bass pickup - not working, for restoration or parts

This feature cannot be used with this item because it is an Auction-style Format item

Try this link to end your listing:  http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EndingMyAuction

Been a while since I've had to do that, but there's more info here if it helps:  http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2012, 09:11:20 AM »
Okay... that worked. The item was ended. Thanks, chromium!

Thunderbucker: check your mail.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »
On Thursday my son took the Senator to a jazz gig at a gallery opening and I got a chance to hear it from the audience in a band context.

Strung with TI Jazz Flats and played through a GK MB150 combo, it sounded very "acoustic", like halfway between electric bass and upright. More open and slightly punchier than a "Beatle bass".

My son commented that he would like to raise the action on the E string side, but otherwise he loved it.

4.4lbs., by the way. It's the Weightless Wonder.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 09, 2012, 05:33:25 AM »
Sounds like that is one awesome bass.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2012, 04:06:08 PM »
Was this using the pickup you bought on eBay, or has the original been repaired?

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2012, 06:33:56 AM »
ilan, what sort of jazz does your son play. when i hear the word jazz i think of mostly upright players, except for dave holland with miles davis. bass guitar people speak of playing jazz and i am curious as to what artists they are talking about.   
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2012, 06:48:47 AM »
In the Cincy Rockers, we still play stuff like "Fly Me To the Moon" and "Misty"  "Route 66" et al...

"Blue Skies" and "This Masquerade"...both of the front people in the band love singing that stuff, and people who come see the band love to dance to it.  Sometimes when we play the dancers in the crowd are the most amazing thing...

I like to get on the electric upright and try to make it swing, although I can't be a dyed-in the wool jazzer- (I like all kinds of music--with the exception of most metal and rap)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:55:04 AM by patman »