Author Topic: TB bass on Imus In The Morning  (Read 2062 times)

tonebender

• View Profile
    • Tonebender Guitars and Basses
TB bass on Imus In The Morning
« on: December 10, 2010, 07:16:35 PM »

Bonnie Whitmore , bassist for Hayes Carll, singer/songwriter out of Texas, playing my DarkStar P-bass on Imus this morning. Scott Davis bends the strings on my telecaster with the single hum-size P90 in the bridge. Super nice folks and great musicians. It's a two-fer. I love to see and hear my builds in capable hands.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: TB bass on Imus In The Morning
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 07:43:15 PM »
Video is hanging up for me right now, hopefully I can watch it through later.

I mentioned Bonnie here http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=4744.0 shortly before you registered. I like her.

tonebender

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 09:30:37 PM »
I think that's how I found the forum. She has an japanese Electra EB-3 slothead that is pretty sweet, the one you saw on ACL, also plays a Jack Casady Epiphone. Hopefully it's DarkStar from here on out. She says she likes it. Nice girl with tasteful, in-the-pocket playing and a great voice.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 10:35:43 AM »
Good-looking instrument.  Dreadful, mopey musical selection.  That's the kind of country music I can't stand.  It doesn't give her any chance to demonstrate her skills - at least, not in the 60 seconds I endured before hitting stop.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 10:46:56 AM »
Not playing ball in the UK either... I'll give it a run when you lot are snoozin'...

I can tolerate sum slow country betterer than thems West Coast's beach music folks... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

tonebender

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 12:39:24 PM »
This one's a little more upbeat -

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 01:29:33 PM »
No UK on the second...

1st played through this time... reminded me of the off-key style of Sam Baker...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 02:19:43 PM »
Okay, heard all three now. All good IMO.

Hayes Carll is definitely an acquired taste, his music is not typical of modern country or Americana. More of a singer/songwriter type influenced by old style country, rockabilly and folk.

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 05:53:59 PM »

Good-looking instrument.  Dreadful, mopey musical selection.  That's the kind of country music I can't stand.  It doesn't give her any chance to demonstrate her skills - at least, not in the 60 seconds I endured before hitting stop.

+10000
Fleet Guitars

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 07:09:07 PM »
That's a much more interesting and listenable cut.  I can see that he must be an acquired taste.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 09:59:22 AM »
the bassplayer in real country music is not often one to display talents in a outfront way. the way things are supposed to be. imnsoho. i think a lot of players miss some good music because they focus on their instrument of choice too much. as usual i could be wrong.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

birdie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 10:39:24 AM »
the bassplayer in real country music is not often one to display talents in a outfront way. the way things are supposed to be. imnsoho. i think a lot of players miss some good music because they focus on their instrument of choice too much. as usual i could be wrong.

I like Country. Bakersfield sound, Cash, etc. Don't like Nash-trash. Basically bad R+R. And I certainly have had my fill of yet another singer-songwriter funereal dirge-drivel. Basically white-trash rap.

Now ask me my opinion!! ;D
Fleet Guitars

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 02:35:53 PM »
I like Country. Bakersfield sound, Cash, etc. Don't like Nash-trash. Basically bad R+R. And I certainly have had my fill of yet another singer-songwriter funereal dirge-drivel. Basically white-trash rap.

Now ask me my opinion!! ;D

You like what you like, but jeez, you sound like some of the geezers at the TDPRI (most younger than I am) who think Bakersfield is old time country even though it was actually heavily influenced by rock and roll. Or who long for the good old country of Waylon Jennings even though he was an "outlaw" because he didn't do good old country.

tonebender

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 05:41:33 PM »
Quite an eclectic bunch here as usual. I also built the tele and DarkStar bass used here by the Gin Blossoms. I'm interested in how you guys will tear them up now... 8)  Have at it.

birdie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 09:05:44 PM »
You like what you like, but jeez, you sound like some of the geezers at the TDPRI (most younger than I am) who think Bakersfield is old time country even though it was actually heavily influenced by rock and roll. Or who long for the good old country of Waylon Jennings even though he was an "outlaw" because he didn't do good old country.

Bakersfield influenced by R+R?? No!!!!!!!  ;)....Kinda figured that. And sorry not crazy about Waylon either.
Watcha gonna do? Different strokes cetera cetera.....
Playing bass in this town as a floater has it's good things for sure. Maybe if I take a loooong brake from the singer/songwriter scene!Hmmm...maybe I could build a bass?

What's TDPRI?
Fleet Guitars