Author Topic: pinkie?  (Read 5150 times)

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
Re: pinkie?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 04:47:10 PM »
That reminds me of a girl nicknamed Twinkie, "friend" of a former coworker. She had a certain talent...

pray tell me more....
Fleet Guitars

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 08:31:22 PM »
zzinng!! i like that remark!! 8)
 all seriousness aside, i took a few lessons w/ gary willis. if you are familiar w/ him you will notice he has invented his own way of playing whereby he assigns a finger-or thumb- to each string (he plays a 5).
i have had that in the back of my mind ever since, although my main direction is still much more jamerson, rocco prestia, 2 finger style. i can get pretty damn quick w/ em too. like fast up-down picking without the click..  

I know a woman who was in a punk/pop girl band for a year or two, she always played with one finger per string. But she was a classically trained harpist (and a good one) so it was easy for her.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 08:35:26 PM »
pray tell me more....

Twinkie got her nickname because she could poke a small hole in the end of a Twinkie and suck all the filling out without damaging it. Lots of fun at parties. You don't run across a talent like that very often.  ;D 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 09:32:03 AM »
Don't tell yer girlfriend how to suck twinkies...? an interesting paraphrase...  ;)

We don't get Twinkies over here... period...  :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

kungfusheriff

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 08:58:17 PM »
Twinkie got her nickname because she could poke a small hole in the end of a Twinkie and suck all the filling out without damaging it. Lots of fun at parties. You don't run across a talent like that very often.  ;D 

At least not at our age you don't.

I learned to play with my fretting-hand thumb wrapped over the top of the neck, so it was a major adjustment for me to start using my pinkie. I have huge palms and short fingers -- it runs in the family -- so anything that extends my reach is a good thing.

birdie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 09:32:46 PM »
i also have small,dare i say "girlie"? :-* hands...gary also showed me some cool stretch exercises to extend and incorporate that pinkie.
couldn't play w/out it if i tried, now.
Fleet Guitars

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 09:41:05 PM »
My pinkie has as hard a callous as my index finger.  My ring finger hardly gets any use.  Not sure why that's the case, because if I pick up my acoustic guitar the ring finger gets used much more than the pinkie.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 11:41:01 PM »
the reason i started this thread is that in the last 2 years i find myself using my pinkie a lot.i didn't use it much in the past.not really sure why. i've noticed that my style has changed a lot.but subconsiously.weird.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 09:30:45 AM »
I use the pinkie finger all the time - but I use four-digit fingering, so it follows. 

Seriously, why would I NOT use the fourth finger?  It extends the reach and there's plenty of strength in the pinkie finger to play any note on an electric bass with a setup worthy of the name.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

birdie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 03:58:08 PM »
the reason i started this thread is that in the last 2 years i find myself using my pinkie a lot.i didn't use it much in the past.not really sure why. i've noticed that my style has changed a lot.but subconsiously.weird.

i would suggest that your technique is evolving in a good way! :)
Fleet Guitars

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 04:36:52 PM »
in the past i used my pinkie only when i had to.now i use it eveytime i go 4 frets away.another way my playing has evolved is that i moved totally away from the bridge.i pick btwn the neck and pup.the strings on my main bass are almost 3 years old. and i play the shit outta that thing.i mean like thrash punk, heavy shit and i was in a band as a guitar player for 10 months we practiced once a week for 3 hours and did 12 gigs,i only broke 1 string the whole time.and they were already a few months old when i started playing with that band.now that i think about it it's probably because of playing guitar that i'm using my pinkie more from playing chords.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 06:33:04 AM »
My technique is very much "4 fingers, 4 frets" so yeah ..... pinky's in use regularly.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 08:00:42 AM »
About 90% of my playing time now is on the upright, so the pinkie gets a lot of use.  Some of that 1-2-4 technique I carry over to electric.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 11:24:27 AM »
seriously,how often do you guys use your pinkie?

You're kidding, right?  ???  :mrgreen:

I use it a lot.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:42:07 AM by gearHed289 »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 08:08:26 PM »
I use the pinkie finger all the time - but I use four-digit fingering, so it follows. 

Seriously, why would I NOT use the fourth finger?  It extends the reach and there's plenty of strength in the pinkie finger to play any note on an electric bass with a setup worthy of the name.

I'm the same as Al, Finger per fret trained so I use my pinky all the time. I switch between that and a 3 fret box  blues style constantly without thinking about it these days. (more due to laziness than class).  ;)

I have arthritis in the main joint in said same pinky and struggle a bit some nights. Damn what a drag it is getting old  8)
Digresion our specialty!