Author Topic: Heads up  (Read 14519 times)

aluminumcatfish

• View Profile
Re: Heads up
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2013, 11:36:54 AM »
It's spread to Musicians Friend too!

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2013, 12:14:46 PM »
Worst timing ever for this!  ERRRRRR!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2013, 12:30:37 PM »
Looks like Sweetwater matched the prices this morning for what they have in stock.  For a few hours yesterday they had up "Pre-order" listings for the 2014s.  I thought it was interesting that the 3 colors they listed for the Thunderbird were Sunburst, Heritage Cherry & Walnut...Not sure I can picture a Walnut Bird  :-\

This past year, Gibson listed a lot of their guitar models specifically as 2013 models, even when they differed very little from previous years. Some dealers then referred to the old models as 2012 and reduced the prices on them. I recall seeing 2012 SGs dropped by a couple of hundred dollars. Only difference was that the 2013s had the small pickguard like early SGs.

Maybe all this means that Gibson will be doing what car companies do, introduce new models every year with usually slight differences and maybe an occasional big change. Maybe it will work for them. Maybe it will mean bargains every fall for us.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2013, 05:39:20 AM »
If I didn't have an NR from 2012 I'd go for one since they are ridiculously low priced at $719. Which is the oversize Les Paul?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2013, 06:30:48 AM »
I like the idea of a little more variety from year to year even if it's just some different colors.  If it makes for some blowout deals at the end of the year I like it even more.  I've heard a bunch of models (thunderbirds included) are going to have a special 12th fret inlay for the 120th anniversary.  It seems like an odd year to commemorate, but then again I can see the 12th-120th connection.

Apparently the sale has moved some merch, I picked up the gold top Les Paul bass on day one for AMS. At that time they had 7 in stock and now they're down to 2.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2013, 09:00:04 AM »
The rep I spoke to at AMS said that the sale was completely unexpected. He said usually the marketing folks give them all a heads up in order to plan for incoming calls , but this was out of the blue and took everyone by surprise.  AMS is out of regular Tbitds, and Sweetwater is out of red Midtowns.  Now that it has spread to Musicians Friend- might throw a bass on that card also .  Too bad they didn't have the 335 or the 50th anniversary Birds marked down

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2013, 09:04:02 AM »
Looks like Sweetwater matched the prices this morning for what they have in stock.  For a few hours yesterday they had up "Pre-order" listings for the 2014s.  I thought it was interesting that the 3 colors they listed for the Thunderbird were Sunburst, Heritage Cherry & Walnut...Not sure I can picture a Walnut Bird  :-\

I wonder if they are going to do a faded/worn finish option on the Thunderbird IV.Many of their other faded models are red & brown. I'd go for a red one!

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2013, 11:04:34 AM »
If I didn't have an NR from 2012 I'd go for one since they are ridiculously low priced at $719. Which is the oversize Les Paul?

Same for me (VB).  I like the blue one a lot tho. 

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2013, 11:49:05 AM »
The rep I spoke to at AMS said that the sale was completely unexpected. He said usually the marketing folks give them all a heads up in order to plan for incoming calls , but this was out of the blue and took everyone by surprise.  AMS is out of regular Tbitds, and Sweetwater is out of red Midtowns.  Now that it has spread to Musicians Friend- might throw a bass on that card also .  Too bad they didn't have the 335 or the 50th anniversary Birds marked down

Since it took them by surprise, that must mean Gibson really wants to move 'em out, rather than the dealers pressuring Gibson for a price break.

Must resist that LP Traditional (guitar). Must resist.

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
Since it took them by surprise, that must mean Gibson really wants to move 'em out, rather than the dealers pressuring Gibson for a price break.

Must resist that LP Traditional (guitar). Must resist.

I think the Chicago Blue one a LOT. 

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2013, 03:03:16 PM »
I picked up a Gold Bouliion TBIV today in a GC and it was just right fit, feel and beautiful. But still 1,999. at GuitarCenter.  Anybody seen less anywhere for one of these?

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2013, 06:33:13 PM »
I picked up a Gold Bouliion TBIV today in a GC and it was just right fit, feel and beautiful. But still 1,999. at GuitarCenter.  Anybody seen less anywhere for one of these?

Ebay in the 1700 range.  ONE of those site that has the Gibson deals had them at 1600 I think, but I see none now or they are up to 1999 as you say.

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »

I knew it.. Sweetwater.  1499:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BAT50BGGH-13/

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
I think the Chicago Blue one a LOT. 

That's the one I'm trying to resist.

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2013, 08:26:12 PM »
That's the one I'm trying to resist.

That should have read 'LIKE' the Chicago blue..that would be so sweet on a T-bird.  Makes you wonder why they could never spray a few in that color.  It's a tempting finish on that Les Paul.