Author Topic: Greco Thunderbird II on Ebag  (Read 9580 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Greco Thunderbird II on Ebag
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 09:32:46 PM »

I'm always glad I have one!
I think they're a pretty sweet bass for the $$$, mine just has to get painted into something more suitable for my stage persona  8)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 11:52:47 PM »
How's the neck on these, compared to a 60's reversed?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 12:25:15 AM »
The Greco Tbird that I have has a rather chunky neck. Nothing like the Gibson Tbird's slim neck...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:21:06 AM »

Yeah, the neck is definately a change of pace - I do prefer a Gibson. I think the ledger is more than balanced by the tone you get.  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:26:54 AM »
Yeah, the neck is definately a change of pace - I do prefer a Gibson. I think the ledger is more than balanced by the tone you get.  ;)

Changing pickups is almost as easy changing clothes.  A bit more difficult to change your neck profile; human or bass. :)

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 08:41:27 AM »

Agreed, but I have clothing "issues"  :)

I love the tone of a Greco TB II, if I could find an extra pup I'd likely put it in my Burny to angry it up a bit.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »
Agreed, but I have clothing "issues"  :)

I love the tone of a Greco TB II, if I could find an extra pup I'd likely put it in my Burny to angry it up a bit.

Pretty sure they're the same as Orvilles.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 10:24:08 AM »
And are those the same as the Japanese Epiphone Thunderbird pickups?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »
Pretty sure they're the same as Orvilles.

I can't be definative because I really don't know too much about these, mine are very different from each other - maybe at some point they were same in each?

Greco, reminds one of an original '60s pup (except deeper) with it's sealed bottom.

Orville, this looks like a contemporary Gibson with it's twin coils and large magnet

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:50:51 PM by TBird1958 »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 02:34:45 PM »
I had a Japan Epiphone, which is what the regular Orvilles were named at some point (different than the Orville by Gibson models). I also have a Greco II, and my guess is they're different pickups (at least the 70's models). Besides different looks, the 70's Greco sounds much more aggressive. More bite. My Greco II sounds more like a 60's NR than any other non 60's bird I've owned. A little more bite than my former '65 II (reverse), but still in that ballpark as well. My Japan Epiphone bird was a nice bass, but it sounded more docile by comparison.

If anyone can handle the chunkier neck (and slightly longer reach with the neck being set about 1" further out on the Greco), I highly recommend a 70's Greco II.

Greco

Epiphone Japan

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 02:52:59 PM »

George, your Greco looks great! Far better shape than mine.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »
I've owned Grecos (II and IV) and an Orville (IV) - the pickups are definitely not the same.  The Greco pickups have thicker mids and have a higher output.  The Orville I owned had a Gibby neck profile and 1.5" width, while all the Grecos have a wider P bass width neck.  The Orville was a beautifully made bass, but the Grecos smoked it for tone and pure rock and roll badassness.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 03:28:04 PM »
My '89 Orville by Gibson's pups looked like Mark's.  Metal bottom soldered to the can.  I had Steve take one apart: twin coils with fatter wire and ceramic magnets which make them hotter than a 60s NR TBird. Close to a ThunderBucker MAX in output but a little harsher sounding.  Maxshrek owns the OBG now. 

Thunderbird pickups all have twin coils. Even bicentennials, they're just sideways.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 08:32:21 PM »
From my experience...the Orville By Gibsons and Greco's have the same pickups...The Orvilles are Epoxied on the bottom....What I like about Greco's is that the Body is exactly the same as a 60's Bird...while the others are shaped more like the 76 and later models...