Author Topic: Bicentennial T-Bird value?  (Read 2526 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Bicentennial T-Bird value?
« on: March 23, 2012, 01:30:03 PM »
Interesting afternoon... the man who was here to quote some replacement windows for me turns out to be a bassist in an area blues band, and he has a white Bicentennial 'Bird that he would like to sell. He's the original owner. It's unbroken.

He says he made two mistakes when he first bought it: he traded the original case back to the dealer for an anvil case, and he thought the emblem on the pickguard was cheesy so he had them put on a plain black one instead; he doesn't have the original guard.

I haven't followed these closely anytime lately, any ideas? He seemed to think that he could have gotten $2K if it had the original case and guard, is that about right?

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Bicentennial T-Bird value?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 02:01:29 PM »
That's cool. According to Jules's site, the white Bicentennials are the rarest of the lot so I would think $2 at least, maybe $3k. I don't think I've ever even seen on on eBay.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 02:38:52 PM »
A few years a go I would have paid $3k for an unbroken white one, now that I have a pair of '60s I'm not interested...he's right, that bicentennial bird is goofy, especially since the white ones weren't shipped until mid '77, definitely not cool to me back in the day.  I got the first one in L.A. that year and immediately replaced the guard with a black one I made.  The original and the ashtrays stayed in the case until I traded it.  Neck was never to my liking but it sounded great!

Here it is July '77 Whisky a Go Go, ThunderBucker on guitar, me on bass and backup vox.  2 Coliseum heads, 2 SVT cabs.  Steve's playing a 50s tele straight thru a Marshall.
http://snd.sc/GSPcs0

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 03:04:24 PM »

They have gone up a bit - I'd love to have a white one. IIRC someone on TB posted some closed auctions recently and a good natural one had sold at 2.5K. My three were substaintailly less but had "issues" i.e. broken necks, missing parts, no finish! etc. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »
 I'd say 2.5k is about right, the white as stated is the toughest to find. Unbroken is always a plus.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 10:12:29 PM »
Are you saying he might get 2.5K for his, or that one with the original case and pickguard might go for that much?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 10:34:19 PM »

Personally I don't care for '76 cases at all, pretty much a non issue as far as price goes. The PG OTOH is a point, as we've seen (goofy or not!) they go for $$$ on ebay. So from 2.5K to 2.2K. He'd be wise to try and find one - with bridge and pup cover he'd have a 3k bass. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 07:56:49 AM »
 I think he could get 2.5k without the case and even maybe without the guard and covers. Like Mark says the case isn't a real issue.
Are you saying he might get 2.5K for his, or that one with the original case and pickguard might go for that much?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 07:59:26 AM »
Quit driving up the price, guys! ;D

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 08:00:58 AM »
 I would never pay that kind of money for a '76, hell for that kind of dough I'll go out and buy another NR.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 08:25:15 AM »

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 12:34:06 PM »
I would actually trade my refin unbroken NR II for a white '76.........no really...I've ALLWAYS loved the white '76 birds...don't know why...Just do.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 02:09:09 PM »
Were not the ones driving up prices! Check Olivia's auction  :o http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Gibson-THUNDERBIRD-IV-bicentennial-BLACK-/370597296834?pt=Guitar&hash=item564951fac2

Great guys to deal with...really awesome guys...But their prices are always high....and for a cracked T bird??? I'd say 2K tops.....

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 02:44:43 PM »
I have no idea if Olivia's ever gets their asking prices, but their asking prices are almost always well above usual market value. Even on less expensive stuff.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 04:51:03 PM »
Aye, 2.5.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...