Author Topic: Broken T bird for $8,000.....Really???? C'mon... in this U.S. Depression???????  (Read 4218 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Like everything that Olivia's puts up for sale, it is pretty cool.  And it has to actually sell for the price to be anything less than redculous, but they seldom seem to sell anything cool. We never know the actual closing price when they do.

So, it seems like the bass will hang in a nice museum for a bit.

It is actually a pretty good sign of a double dip recession, as cool but not perfect stuff is coming out of the closet and from under the bed and ending up on ebay or at shops.  When things get really bad, then we will see the really nice stuff and going for bargain basement prices.  I suspect more of that in the next year or so.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Nasty looking breaks. Even for Olivia's, that looks way high.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Silly price, sloppy repair almost never is there a need for dowels. All I can say is I'm glad it's a IV and not a II.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

ack1961

• View Profile
OK, I'll plead ignorance and ask: What am I missing here?
What is so special about this bass that warrants a +$8k pricetag?
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

SGD Lutherie

• David Schwab
    • View Profile
    • SGD Music Products
OK, I'll plead ignorance and ask: What am I missing here?
What is so special about this bass that warrants a +$8k pricetag?

Nothing IMO. Collectors have artificially inflated the price of vintage instruments. Greed is the only reason they are asking eight grand.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
What gets me is how many P-basses Fender made which are still out there still going for more than this NR's price. This NR is at least rare in any configuration and color. $8k rare, probably not. I bet he could get $5k for it pretty easily if because of the color.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
What gets me is how many P-basses Fender made which are still out there still going for more than this NR's price. This NR is at least rare in any configuration and color. $8k rare, probably not. I bet he could get $5k for it pretty easily if because of the color.

I've always wondered this too.........7ender made piles of basses and people think they're all rare? I don't get it.
As for this bass I think they are trolling for a buyer and will come down quite a bit if they want to sell it - Once you publish a price you really can't raise it, you can always lower it  ;) 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

SGD Lutherie

• David Schwab
    • View Profile
    • SGD Music Products

I've always wondered this too.........7ender made piles of basses and people think they're all rare? I don't get it.

They aren't rare, they are old, and the value has been artificially inflated because collectors will snap them all up at any price and lock them away somewhere never to be played. So then they are scarce. Now the only thing left is the beat up and broken instruments and they go for crazy money because the market has been inflated. None of these instruments are worth even 5k. Why would they be?

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
I hope that after this depression is over..."Vintage" instruments drop in price madly and stay low.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
The one thing with 7enders of this age compared to T'birds (like this) is that they rarely break...

If you paid twice the price you would still not be scared to take the beast out and play it... Oops, hit the head on the amp... no problem... maybe a little more mojo...

There is not a single person here that does not know how fragile the neck is on these Ladies and there is not one person here that would not covet the perfect Lady...

This one, sadly, is not...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
None of these instruments are worth even 5k. Why would they be?

Perceived value. Similar to why people will pay many times more for one of your hand made pickups than they will for a mass produced one.
I hope that after this depression is over..."Vintage" instruments drop in price madly and stay low.

They will always cost more than the average player can afford no matter how bad things get.  And more than likely the export market will take up the slack.

SGD Lutherie

• David Schwab
    • View Profile
    • SGD Music Products
Perceived value. Similar to why people will pay many times more for one of your hand made pickups than they will for a mass produced one.

Except I don't charge many times more, unless you are counting cheap Asian pickups, and they don't sound very good most of the time. Im charging for the labor involved, and the uniqueness of what I offer, while keeping it priced to work well in the current market. I just raised prices $20 for the first time in about four years!

Charging many times more than the bass was worth new, use because it's old is fine. But the prices of some vintage instruments are way past perceived value. Is an old Strat really worth $20,000? I have a friend with a mid 60s Strat he had since he was a teenager. It's a nice guitar, but it's not all that much different from a new one.

They will always cost more than the average player can afford no matter how bad things get.  And more than likely the export market will take up the slack.

Well think back in the 70s when you could get used basses fairly cheap. I bought a '73 Ric for $200 in '76. I bought an '81 Les Paul standard for $250 in '94. I also have a '59 Jazzmaster, '72 Mustang guitar, and a '60s Mosrite Ventures bass. None of them were over $500.

But when the vintage guitar craze started, the prices started going through the celling. And that's because people want to make a quick buck. For a lot less than $8000 you could have a much nicer bass built for you.

Johnbob

• View Profile
I think that Pelham Blue NR Bird is pretty much my dream bass. Minus the broken headstock and crazy price of course. I wonder what it would sell for if it didn't have the headstock break though. Still not $8000 probably but it would definitely go for a lot. I know a lot of you are saying, "It's just more money because of the color" and obviously, you would be exactly right but a lot of vintage guitars sell for way more because of the color. Again, I don't think that justifies the $8000 price tag, especially with that break, but the fact that the color is a factor in the price doesn't surprise me. You can say what you will about that color but it is indeed more rare than a sunburst one for sure.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
 I long for the days when people would ask me why I play that ugly pos Gibson. I used to snap up NRs for 400 bucks or less.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird