Author Topic: Neck blanks on FleaBay  (Read 4123 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Neck blanks on FleaBay
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2008, 09:35:11 AM »
I'm tempted, but the 1 3/4" nut width concerns me. It could be narrowed, but to do it right would mean evenly tapering the neck blank all the way down to the heel. Might not be that easy to do without spending a lot of time on it.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2008, 12:35:17 PM »
Nothing a pencil and a plane couldn't solve.  I wouldn't let a little thing like a fraction of an inch bother me.  It's a lot easier to take some off as opposed to adding some on.  I should know!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2008, 06:21:03 PM »
I'm tempted, but the 1 3/4" nut width concerns me. It could be narrowed, but to do it right would mean evenly tapering the neck blank all the way down to the heel. Might not be that easy to do without spending a lot of time on it.

Dear Mod Dave,

As the Dr. says not a big problem, The Ripper/G3 clone uses one of these necks (I bought 4) and it's down to a svelte 1 1/2" at the nut and about 2 3/8" at the end of the fingerboard. There's plenty to work with and laminated maple is pretty stiff stuff. I took quite a bit off the back also, it's slightly less than 5/8" thick front to back at the nut (not counting the fingerboard.)
I may have to pick up another (one?) of the three I have left, one's committed to the lefty R/G3 and I want at least one more righty, leaving me to choose between an RD clone and (?) I guess I'll be hitting Ebay again!

S.
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 03:54:31 AM »
Yeah, go for it!  I might get another myself, just in case!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!