Main Forums > The Outpost Cafe

Out of all the auto makers

(1/4) > >>

Barklessdog:
Who would have thought Subaru would actually increase sales in 2008?

Subaru posts 2008 sales increase in US

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/01/05/business/NA-US-Subaru-Auto-Sales.php

Contrary to most other mainstream automakers who are struggling dearly in recent times, Subaru of America has actually posted a sales increase of 1.2% through November 2008. Although a small increase overall, three of the brand's key models -- the Impreza, Legacy and Forester -- have set record sales numbers.

Leading the pack of record breakers is the redesigned Forester wagon launched this past May, which scored our Motor Trend Sport/Utility of the Year honors for 2009. For first 11 months of the year, an increase of 33.8% was had compared to the same time last year. Its smaller sibling, the Impreza hatchback, achieved a sales rise of 9.6% through November, while sales of the aging Legacy were up by a surprising 9%. Coincidentally, a concept tease of the upcoming 2010 Legacy model is slated to make its debut at next month’s Detroit Motor Show.

And Subaru did it while offering the lowest incentives of any major car maker — an average of $889 per vehicle versus an industry average of $2,566, according to Edmunds.com.

- Not me I though they would suffer from their poor gas milage & higher pricing

Barklessdog:
Hyundai sales went up 14%, which I can understand, being an inexpensive car manufacturer.

gweimer:

--- Quote from: Barklessdog on February 05, 2009, 01:24:56 PM ---Hyundai sales went up 14%, which I can understand, being an inexpensive car manufacturer.

--- End quote ---

They also have, I believe, the largest state-of-the-art manufacturing plant here in the USA.  Their gain is actually good for US Auto Workers.

Barklessdog:

--- Quote ---The vehicles tend to be mid-priced with sedate styling, high safety ratings, EPA city/highway mileage ratings in the low 20s and high reliability ratings from Consumer Reports.

It’s a package that attracts a high-income demographic of college-educated professionals (lots of medical folks, who apparently appreciate the all-weather capability), more than a few lesbians (About.com’s Lesbian Life ranked the Forester as the No. 1 vehicle for gay women) and impressive loyalty among owners.
--- End quote ---

I never considered the Forester a lesbian dream?

When my wife needed a car last year we looked at Foresters and are really nice. They have a huge sunroof. Too small for our dog crates though.

--- Quote ---Subaru’s retention rate, at 50.5%, is only slightly better than the industry average of 48% recorded by data tracker J.D. Power and Associates. But Turner contends that many Subaru owners sell their old cars to friends or family and pay cash for their new Subarus, and thus don’t show up in surveys as repeat buyers who do trade-ins.
--- End quote ---

Dave W:
I remember we discussed this in another thread when Fraülein Mark was talking about his Subaru. For some reason Subarus became really popular with lesbians probably dating from the late 80s. They've been smart enough to cater to that market, that's why they had Martina Navratilova as a spokeswoman for awhile. Of course that's not a majority of their sales but they'd be foolish to ignore it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version