Author Topic: A Minor Lapse in Restraint  (Read 1661 times)

chromium

• View Profile
A Minor Lapse in Restraint
« on: November 26, 2008, 02:26:25 PM »
I really have been on my best behavior lately - exercising will power, and fighting those impulsive GAS urges.  There've been so many deals to be had on stuff that I've convinced myself I need, and I've managed to resist almost everything!

Well I had a relapse last week.

This is a Roland G-88 analog bass synth controller from '81.  It was built by Fuji Gen Gakki, and is very close in spec to an Ibanez Musician MC-800, and apparently some other Greco-badged version.  In fact, it is believed that the "GR" insignia on the headstocks of these Rolands stands for "Greco-Roland".

It is quite a nice bass actually, when used as a normal bass.  Ash body, maple/mahog neck thru, ebony board, punchy single coil, 2eq active setup (don't usually go out of my way for actives, but this ones not too bad - none of that scooped-mid sound I can't stand).  Came with some Chromes, decent setup, comfy slender neck.

The main reason I got it was the asking price - $275 shipped!!  Holy cow!  I've really enjoyed my Roland guitars, so I thought for that kinda price it would be nice to add the bass version to the herd. 

I just need to track down the bass-specific floor-unit (which contains the synth guts).  I did try it with my guitar synth units and it seems to function fine, but Roland made a version of the synth that was optimized for bass use. 

I don't envision using this in my band, but I figured it'd be fun for recording (which I havent had much time for lately).

I'd say I'm back on the road to recovery now, but I'd be lying.  Why fight it?   ;D

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Re: A Minor Lapse in Restraint
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 04:35:20 PM »
Wow - cool score!!! I hope you find the floor unit!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 04:58:39 PM »
Thanks!

Seems all kinds of stuff is coming out of the woodwork, what with the economy in shambles.  I've seen a couple of the floor units go by on Ebay recently, so maybe I'll try to catch the next one...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 06:20:22 PM »
Joe, Joe, Joe...we're just gonna have to drag you kicking and screaming into the mid-80s.  :mrgreen:

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 12:15:01 AM »
Joe, Joe, Joe...we're just gonna have to drag you kicking and screaming into the mid-80s.  :mrgreen:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Well... maybe.  But only if I can get one in walnut brown ;D