Author Topic: CME limited edition SGs - collecting for fins and pickguards  (Read 3536 times)

morrow

• View Profile
Re: CME limited edition SGs - collecting for fins and pickguards
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2022, 06:04:05 AM »
Most of my stuff has flats , I like TI Flats on Rics & Pbasses , I keep fresh Slinky’s on the Ray . The Unicorn has DR Black Beauties . The Samurai has TI’s too . For short scale basses I generally prefer a stiffer flat and have bounced between LaBellas and GHS . I’ve been keeping BriteWires on the SG and DC Jr . The SG will probably get flats in the future . My Longhorn still gets most gigs , it’s still got the factory rounds on it from 98 or so . It’s got a great woody thump . I’m hoping my Dano DC will develop the same woody thump , it’s got older BriteWires . Spirocores on the upright , Thunderguts on the Ashbory and uke . I seem to buy strings every other month or so . Next set will probably be for the Bass V1 , I’ll get the newer Fender set with the heavier E . I’ll stick with rounds on that .
I lump strings into three groups , rounds , flats , and then ancient dead rounds , that have that flat wound thump . I’m not including the rubber ones for the ultra short scales .

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2022, 09:07:35 AM »

I've used string cutoffs too, but most nut materials are softer than frets.

Nickel strings on nickel frets will make an impact over a decade or so easily.  Even water wears away the rock.  Sure, with steel strings it's just more of a threat, but either way it happens if you keep and play the bass enough.  Nobody is saying you can saw through a fret in 10-15 minutes like you can a cheap plastic nut (as is it takes a surprising while - roundwouunds aren't the most efficient file and I wouldn't use them to slot a fresh nut so much as to widen/deepen existing slots a smidge especially when trying a new string gauge).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2022, 03:15:10 PM »
My '64 EB-0 has Labella Deep Talkin' Flats, and they've aged nicely after nearly 10 years installed.  It sounds the strings were made for that specific bass.

But then, I think Labella DTFs are the right flats for almost any bass.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2022, 11:30:09 PM »
Nickel strings on nickel frets will make an impact over a decade or so easily.  Even water wears away the rock.  Sure, with steel strings it's just more of a threat, but either way it happens if you keep and play the bass enough.  Nobody is saying you can saw through a fret in 10-15 minutes like you can a cheap plastic nut (as is it takes a surprising while - roundwouunds aren't the most efficient file and I wouldn't use them to slot a fresh nut so much as to widen/deepen existing slots a smidge especially when trying a new string gauge).

All depends on your technique. I've always used a light touch on bass and guitar, but some guys -- especially guitarists -- can chew up frets in short order using nickel rounds.

Stainless steel round wrap wire is much harder and the surface is like a bunch of little files. Some brands are finished much better than others, and that makes a difference.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2022, 11:43:08 PM »
"I've always used a light touch on bass and guitar ..."

People too, not to forget!  ;D
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...