Author Topic: CME limited edition SGs - collecting for fins and pickguards  (Read 3535 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: CME limited edition SGs - collecting for fins and pickguards
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2022, 01:12:44 PM »

Remember, Der Maestro says flatwounds need to be changed more often.  :mrgreen:

Zis izz luffly  :mrgreen: ;D 8), Dave, how could you keep it from me all ziss years, I zought vee vere friendz?!

And what happened to Der Maestro, why is he no longer part of Fender's sales assault?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2022, 01:33:00 PM »
Another German scientist with skills transferable from making V2 rockets to making bass strings....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2022, 03:47:27 PM »
Zis izz luffly  :mrgreen: ;D 8), Dave, how could you keep it from me all ziss years, I zought vee vere friendz?!

And what happened to Der Maestro, why is he no longer part of Fender's sales assault?

Haven't I posted that here before? Maybe it was at the Pit. I've had the image for probably 20 years, not sure when it was used by Fender. Would Leo have used this? I'm guessing 70s CBS era.

Fender needs to bring back Der Maestro.

Another German scientist with skills transferable from making V2 rockets to making bass strings....

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2022, 05:19:18 PM »
"Haven't I posted that here before? Maybe it was at the Pit. I've had the image for probably 20 years, not sure when it was used by Fender. Would Leo have used this? I'm guessing 70s CBS era."

Looks earlier to me, would have probably been considered already low pc in the 70ies, I'd pair it more mid-sixties when Hogan's Heroes showed on TV, the orange-brown tone looks 60ish too.

Lehrer's Wernher von Braun song (a favorite of mine) is of course brilliantly acerbic - you can tell that his parents must have come from Germany (he was born in the US before the Nazis took power) and that German or at least Yiddish was spoken at home, his German pronunciation is faultless.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2022, 05:26:51 PM »

Yeah, our ideas generally really fly and hardly ever bomb.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 09:45:08 PM by uwe »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2022, 09:20:55 PM »
Yeah, our ideas generally really fly and hardly ever bomb.

Dammit that's a great movie.... Utterly brilliant.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 09:45:25 PM by uwe »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2022, 04:18:14 AM »
I've never understood why anyone would want flatwounds with zing. Like Ernie Ball promoting their Slinky Flatwounds as sounding like rounds. Why? If you want it to sound like rounds, buy rounds.

Mainly for fretless. To get the Jaco tone without forming grooves in the fingerboard. I'm using half-rounds (groundwounds) on my fretless.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:37:29 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2022, 09:01:52 AM »
Well that sure got interesting! I should check in on weekends more often.  ;D

Uwe, your African zoo story had me spitting out my tea!

Mark, awesome bird, congrats!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2022, 07:49:27 AM »
I've never understood why anyone would want flatwounds with zing. Like Ernie Ball promoting their Slinky Flatwounds as sounding like rounds. Why? If you want it to sound like rounds, buy rounds.

Flatwounds with a pick can be a great sound, so many examples. But it's not for everybody, and it's not supposed to be zingy.

Mainly for fretless. To get the Jaco tone without forming grooves in the fingerboard. I'm using half-rounds (groundwounds) on my fretless.

Also for those with sissy hands or eczema like I have (as well as a compulsion to clamp down with your fretting hand much more than you need to) flatwounds are less hurty.... but if you like the sound of rounds. Or if you like sliding a lot you don't get as much extranious noise (like a pic slide on guitar) covering up the actual note.

There's also fret wear, but as Dave said (implied) that is a long slow process unless using steel string - but roundwounds, being textured like a file, would speed it up at least a little no matter the material.  In fact I have used string cutoffs before to file nut slots - you know they're sized right.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2022, 12:45:49 PM »
I use string cutoffs for nut-work also...

It works.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2022, 02:43:27 PM »
So do I! Kinda foolproof.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2022, 03:07:19 PM »

Nut work? I think I'm on the wrong forum again  :-*
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2022, 06:35:21 PM »
I find roundwounds around your nut kinda an acquired taste and a bit on the chafing side. I think that's where flatwounds or even rubber coated ones really come into their own and offer a more comfortable feel for the connoisseur adult player.

But what do penguins have to do with it? Apparently Norwegians - they're everywhere - know a secret or two about that.

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/gay-penguin-bondage-book-angers-parents-after-being-found-pre-school-library180515-132004/

In the end, only Uncle Frank - that great unsung American explorer of human psyche - would know!

We've finally done it: from the zing of D'Addario Chromes to Zappa - all in one thread.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 06:48:52 PM by uwe »

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2022, 10:01:20 PM »
I never use stainless steel rounds, and I've never had a problem with fret wear using nickel-plated rounds.

SS rounds is all that I've used for decades.

Had La Bella not discontinued Deep Talkin' Rounds a few years ago I'd still be on that train. GHS stainless rounds on my Bass V are the only leftover from that era, though.

The only nickel rounds that I actually like are Stringjoy, and I've tried just about everything on the market when it comes to short scale offerings.
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2022, 11:24:45 PM »

Also for those with sissy hands or eczema like I have (as well as a compulsion to clamp down with your fretting hand much more than you need to) flatwounds are less hurty.... but if you like the sound of rounds. Or if you like sliding a lot you don't get as much extranious noise (like a pic slide on guitar) covering up the actual note.

There's also fret wear, but as Dave said (implied) that is a long slow process unless using steel string - but roundwounds, being textured like a file, would speed it up at least a little no matter the material.  In fact I have used string cutoffs before to file nut slots - you know they're sized right.

Both valid reasons, but Ernie Ball didn't introduce them for either. They're supposed to be general purpose strings.

I've used string cutoffs too, but most nut materials are softer than frets.

BTW, I first gave SIT strings a try after finding out that that's what Jack Bruce used in his later career. He used Rock Brights Stainless on his fretted and fretless Warwicks. I use the nickel Power Wounds.