Author Topic: So I'm a little bit crazed.  (Read 7677 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: So I'm a little bit crazed.
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 04:46:17 AM »

The Shuttle 6.0 is sold, showing that folks on TB can recognize a good amp when they find it.

But apparently not the benefits of the latest model (upgrades, warranty,  IMPROVED KNOBS, shiny newness, 800 paypal points) vs the slight differential in price.  I took the plunge for the 6.2, figure I can recoup most of the cost if I don't like it.  I'm blaming you, Al!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 04:51:36 AM »
It's a bit off topic, but I found this video on Youtube from that very concert where Speedealer played with the Ovation Magnum. You can even tell why I, from front stage right, thought that Eddie Spaghetti's Les Paul Standard Bass was green (for years until I saw them again) due to the lights. There's no date, but having been at that show, I can tell you for certain that this IS from it; that's certainly the Tabernacle in Atlanta and that's also quite a few years ago. The resolution is too low to see if I could see myself in the front row, but I'm going to get in touch with the guy who put that up on YT and see where that video came from and maybe find clips of the Ovation. Speedealer played before the Supersuckers. The audio is obviously board-sourced, and it was/is top notch.

BTW, all the pro camera work, board audio and jib boom shots are because Motorhead was shooting b-roll for their "God Save the Queen" video, which I am happy to say, features me for about 1/10 of a second.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:13:43 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 08:56:38 AM »
good tune. they remind me of a tighter dash rip rock.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 11:20:10 AM »
I like the Supersuckers clip!

I had a Magnum-I for several years.  I always enjoyed Ovation's quirky looks (Breadwinner, Deacon, Viper, etc...), and thought the early Mags were lookers.  Pretty innovative for its time, what with the graphite+maho neck.  There was one graphite beam outwardly visible on the back of the neck, and (if I recall correctly) two flanking it inside of the neck.

Fit and finish were excellent, it felt like a tank, and the structure was beyond rigid.  Mine arrived very poorly setup, and it took me weeks to get the neck relief dialed in - that sucker just would not budge!  Once it was there, however, it played great.  I do use a mute from time to time for certain sounds, and thought they had one of the better mute designs in the Mags - activated via a slide lever protruding from the bridge assembly.

It could get REALLY bright sounding, despite all the maho.  Not really my kind of sound, but I tried to like it.  The neck pickup looks massive, but it's actually comprised of four small individual coils staggered under each string, with trimpots to adjust individual string levels.  Very narrow field on that one! (not great for a "bendy" player like myself). The bridge pickup was a humbucker with two coils side-by-side (one under E&A, the other on D&G).  

Overall, it's sound sorta reminded me of something like jazz bass meets 4001 - but much more sterile than either.  I always speculated that may have been due to the graphite and over-the-top rigidity of the thing, but this is the only composite-content bass I've ever played.  I know with Wobble and Laswell using them, Mags tend to get associated with that genre... but I'm tellin' ya - an EB-0/1/2/3 or Guild with the 70's 'buckers would blow one of these into tomorrow, in terms of low end.  Maybe equalization on the Mag-II compensates for some of the inherent anemia?

Anyway, just my impressions.  I enjoyed getting the chance to experience the Mag.

What was this thread about again?  ;D  Oh yeah- congrats on the Genz!  I remember those being quite a bit more $ when I was looking, and ended up with the GK.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 11:27:07 AM by chromium »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 01:39:02 PM »
But apparently not the benefits of the latest model (upgrades, warranty,  IMPROVED KNOBS, shiny newness, 800 paypal points) vs the slight differential in price.  I took the plunge for the 6.2, figure I can recoup most of the cost if I don't like it.  I'm blaming you, Al!

Rahock and I can both assure you that you are going to be a VERY HAPPY GUY with that amp.  Mine should be here Monday and I'm already impatient.

And yes, I think you (and I) could turn them around for about what we paid.  Those won't last long at the price.

I do hope that Fender brings the G-B Shuttle or ShuttleMax line back out in the future.  It could easily be positioned as a new, lightweight line of Fender amps, and that's a gap in their product lineup now.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 05:34:34 AM »
My Shuttle 6.0 is the only amp I've ever had that I like more the longer I play it. Everything else I've ever owned seems to show its' little shortcomings as time goes on. You still like it ,but you see things that you didn't see when you first got it. Too much of this, or too little of that, but it's still OK. With the Shuttle, everything I want and like just keeps showing up every time I play it. That's a first ;D.
Rick

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 08:16:56 AM »
My Shuttle 6.0 is the only amp I've ever had that I like more the longer I play it. Everything else I've ever owned seems to show its' little shortcomings as time goes on. You still like it ,but you see things that you didn't see when you first got it. Too much of this, or too little of that, but it's still OK. With the Shuttle, everything I want and like just keeps showing up every time I play it. That's a first ;D.
Rick

The Shuttle has at least one fewer tube than anything I play now and the benchmark is my '64 B-15.  Volume is not the criterion for me, transparency is.  Not into distortion or pedals.  So I'm easy to please. ;D

Definitely looking forward to hearing the Shuttle with my various cabinets!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 08:40:06 AM »
The biggest thing with the Shuttle is that it is so adjustable. Every amp has a couple of knobs that you turn to make it do different stuff. Some do too much, some do too little, some do stuff that no one would even want :o. The Shuttle is very adjustable. Even the high and low boost is kind of subtle. At first I thought the boosts were a bit too weak , but once I played it with the rest of the band, I realized it was just right. Everything else I had ever played either did nothing , or more common, blew you off your feet . All the controls are in increments that make sense to me. The foot switch is a must for me .
Rick

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 10:27:57 AM »
The biggest thing with the Shuttle is that it is so adjustable. Every amp has a couple of knobs that you turn to make it do different stuff. Some do too much, some do too little, some do stuff that no one would even want :o. The Shuttle is very adjustable. Even the high and low boost is kind of subtle. At first I thought the boosts were a bit too weak , but once I played it with the rest of the band, I realized it was just right. Everything else I had ever played either did nothing , or more common, blew you off your feet . All the controls are in increments that make sense to me. The foot switch is a must for me .
Rick

Sounds like what I'm looking for!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 10:35:14 AM »
Mine's arriving Thursday. :)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »
It's JUUUUUUST about time for me to head home and see if it's there!  :o

Hope so. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 11:53:33 AM »
Dangit.  From the UPS site:

"As requested by the sender, UPS has transferred this shipment to the local post office for delivery to the final destination."

"PACKAGE TRANSFERRED TO LOCAL POST OFFICE. ALLOW FOR 1 TO 2 ADDITIONAL DAYS FOR DELIVERY."

I didn't even know that UPS could be routed through the local post office.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 02:32:08 PM »
It's new trend that the Post Office contracts out final delivery for both Fed Ex and UPS. It's one of the "cheap" shipping options and one more way for them to cut costs. It's becoming more and more common the post office drivers handle final delivery so they're not paying their own driver and delivery trucks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 03:25:36 PM »
Almost all the smaller size shipments I've ordered in the last year have come via Fedex Smartpost or the UPS equivalent. Takes an extra day over direct delivery but still arrives on or before the seller's estimated date.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 06:20:09 PM »
It's here!  UPS got it done - one day after the original projected date.  That's not too bad.

I'm playing around with it but won't get a chance to work it out much until later this evening.