Author Topic: A Squirrel Tale  (Read 4084 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: A Squirrel Tale
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 08:08:50 PM »
Anyway, back to squirrels, I found this article interesting.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 03:32:27 AM »
... which leads to...http://www.currentzoology.org/paperdetail.asp?id=11492

iSquirrel...! probably a NEXUS series... ;)

btw - although the original article relates mostly to the Eastern Grey (Sciurus Carolinensis, so wonderfully incumbent upon our shores...) and relates to their ruggedness and determination, I know from experience how prone to shock they are...

A couple of weeks back and whilst heading home I spotted one in the road, about 8" from the kerbstones on a grass verged, tree-lined area, and, as is my wont, I braked sharply (p*ss*ng off a few drivers) and backed up to just in front of the critter, got out and checked her condition... I asked a couple of questions (I do talk to critters; they don't reply that often, but I understand pain) prior to attempting handling - a prudent poke with the finger illicited a minor response, and a second, which confirmed the spinal chord was intact, and with careful guidance (of the steel toe-capped boot - I've handled them - I know what it is like to run your hand under a sewing machine needle) got her over to the fence 10 yards from the road, but she still wanted to cross the road - eventually, I decided to pick her up by the tip of the tail and place her on the other side of the fence, with a stern warning not to cross until she had regained her senses...

No modified squirrel marks in the road or area since, so she either took the hint or curled up and died somewhere - largest injured animal I've handled is a fox, and largest displaced wild creature is a swan from the edge of a motorway (think 6 lane highway), and riskiest is a kestrel from the centre of a main road (which I blocked with my van) and a quick dash onto the onslip of a 6 lane single way motorway, in a snowstorm, to uplift a barn-owl... both of these avians just needed a warm up/kept in the dark for a short while before I released them back into the wild - the swan had to be held for about 20 minutes before the police turned up with a swan-bag to transfer her back to the thames from where she crash-landed...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 07:09:50 AM »
Those guys remind me of the Clydesdales used by Budweiser to pull their wagons.  We have a local plant and toured last week - those horses weigh over a ton and stand more than 6 feet at the shoulder.

Draft horses of whatever breed are truly impressive!!!

We live in a very Horsey area, fed a few carrots to the horses over the back fence today in fact. Near us is where the Clydesdales that pull the carts for the Coopers Brewery here Sth Aust live. I love driving past and seeing 6 or so of them prancing around in that paddock. Stunningly regal animals.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 09:50:38 AM »
Having worked within the Fullers (now Gales and Fullers) and Youngs (now Wells and Youngs) breweries for a 21 year period, I know exactly where you are coming from - until Youngs left Wandsworth in 2006 they made all their local deliveries with a horse drawn dray...

I believe they were the last company to do so, and that is now history...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 11:23:41 AM »
Yes, where would we be without Nature's Miracle? The alternatives I've tried over the years all discolor the carpet.

I've used that Nature's Miracle on spots that weren't animal in origin - it even does a pretty good job on some of them!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 06:46:00 AM »
Come again?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 09:08:10 AM »
It's a carpet cleaning solution sold in pet stores - does wonders on pet "accident" stains.  For some reason, it also works on many other stains.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 09:29:04 AM »
Not something that's marketed here, afaik... what's it based on...?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 09:44:49 AM »
Not something that's marketed here, afaik... what's it based on...?

Beats me.  It's one of the enzymatic cleaners that are supposed to kill odor as well...but the formula is unknown to me.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 12:47:02 AM »
I think its some enzyme from a pigs gut  ;)   Not Veggie friendly at all I'm afraid  :-X    ;D
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 11:14:03 AM »
Pepsin from pig-gut is commonly used as an alternative to cow-rennet to harden cheese... don't do that either, funny enough... :P

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 03:26:49 PM »
Pepsin from pig-gut is commonly used as an alternative to cow-rennet to harden cheese... don't do that either, funny enough... :P

So you're a full blown vegan then, right?  No milk or eggs then?  I might be able to handle vegetarian but I don't believe I could survive without dairy or eggs :sad:

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 05:30:27 AM »
Not quite vegan - still have a major love-affair with cheese, to my waistlines disgust... we are down to ingredients and researcning where there is any uncertainty... I could drop eggs from the menu, and have been trying to ease off the cheese... Roshina (daughter) is much closer to vegan... I have no leather shoes (excluding provided work shoes), no belts, no jackets... black tea/coffee is the norm, but if put in front of me when working...

I have had "accidents" but extremely few and very far between - eating out is a major, which is why we rarely do - we have friends/family who are very understanding and go out of their way when we visit or stay - our Devon friends were up last night so presently recovering from excessive food and beer... revenge of the chilli...
:sad: ;D :sad: ;D :sad:

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 07:07:21 PM »
I know you can make bread and pasta without eggs but why?  No half and half for my coffee - can't take it.