Author Topic: Dio Tribute ...  (Read 729 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Dio Tribute ...
« on: April 01, 2014, 05:40:54 AM »
Most tributes are loveless affairs or too reverential, but the Dio tribute that just came out has its moments:

This here reminded me that Metallica - although they are an American band grown up under the leaden airwave oppression of the mighty Zeppelin - owes more to Purple/Rainbow than one might think, it seems very natural to them playing this stuff:

This here is nice, Dio liked Glenn's voice and Glenn sang it at Dio's funeral at the request of Dio's wife Wendy.

I was expecting more of this, it's a little safe:

Lol, ze Scörps make this sound like it was a forgotten single of theirs!

My favorite (along with the Metallica medley) is probably this here though, Fräulein Doro Pesch! Now Fräulein Pesch (a very nice person btw) is neither a great singer, nor has she mastered the fine art of English pronounciation after a couple of decades in the business nor is her penchant for dressing herself like an SM table dancer always fortunate or becoming for her age, but here (sartorial elegance aside) ze husky Tshörmenn äkzent wörks ... (and one of my fave Dio tracks in any case):

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:37:17 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Dio Tribute ...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 08:03:10 AM »
I was actually impressed with the Metallica cover. I think Hetfield did a nice job of doing it in his own style. Lars still sucks, but waddaya gonna do?  ;)

I need to check out some of these other tracks...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 08:36:38 AM »
I've said it before, I'll say it again, Hetfield today is Eric Bloom incarnate for me. And I'm always touched by how painstakingly Kirk Hammett tries to sound 70ies as opposed to 80ies, given that he plays with the world's most successful heavy metal band he's no mindless shredder but actually tasteful and even sparse. As to Lars, I'm not drummer enough to judge his technique, but he has a style all of his own and his timing/groove is as essential to Metallica's band sound as Hetfield's rhythm guitar. Those two play off each other like Watts and Richards do, everything else is then added around it.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 09:31:26 AM »
Hetfield's vocals sound processed to death. I hear a lot of Autopitch or Melodyne going on.

Not impressed by any of the "tributes" above btw... (Rob Halford being the absolute low point)

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »
Thanks for the Metallica Earworm - if they were true fans of Dio, they would have kept that to themselves or melted the evidence.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

LoEndMaestro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 05:06:10 PM »
I loved the version of Catch The Rainbow Glenn did at the memorial service. I watched that video a hundred times. I just grabbed the studio version of that from the tribute. Glenn slays me every time...

I think I'm gonna pass on the rest of the album though.

Thanks for the reminder though Uwe, I forgot that today was the release date.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 03:50:44 AM »
Here is the "No Treble" article on this which I just happened to run across.

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2014/04/01/metal-icons-contribute-to-dio-tribute-album-cancer-fund/
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 04:00:35 AM »
Hetfield's vocals sound processed to death. I hear a lot of Autopitch or Melodyne going on.

He sounds like he's right up on the mic, very controlled and not overly powerful.  I like his vocals, but it's definitely not Metallica raw.  Nor is it that Dio power that was his trademark.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 04:40:07 AM »
Hetfield will never be a great singer, but his voice has come a long way since I last saw Metallica some time shortly after the death of Cliff Burton, pre-Justice for All release. That acuially applies to all of the band, they have matured and developed. If they still did Ride the Lightning type music they would be playing in clubs today at best.