Author Topic: New Rev bass........I like it!  (Read 4048 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
New Rev bass........I like it!
« on: September 18, 2011, 04:54:23 AM »
I always like the old Reverend basses.  This is a nice looking new model.  Since hollw short scales have smaller markets, I'll be interested to see how it sells.  At $999, it's pretty reasonably priced IMHO.

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: New Rev bass........I like it!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 05:12:38 AM »
It looks nice, but those pickups need to have chrome covers or blade polepieces or... just something besides what is there, even with the "blacked-out" Precision style of the neck pickup. So many manufacurers use MM style pickups that it's gotten to the point where almost every one I see just looks so cheap.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 05:44:31 AM »
It looks nice, but those pickups need to have chrome covers or blade polepieces or... just something besides what is there, even with the "blacked-out" Precision style of the neck pickup. So many manufacurers use MM style pickups that it's gotten to the point where almost every one I see just looks so cheap.

Cheap?...how can you call a $1K Korean bass with a $6 bridge and a pair of $20 pickups cheap? ;)

The bass, though not bad, doesn't have the appeal of the original Rev MIA basses to me.  Last time I saw one it was less than a thousand.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 09:12:08 AM »
Good points folks.  I for one, hate the MM pups in any configuration, but I do like the style and design elements of the rest of the bass.  I assumed it was not USA made and it looks like prices will be even lower than $999.

I'd still love to play and hear one though.  It's not unlike what I have in miind to build in the future.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 09:39:44 AM »
Bleah. It looks like a mishmash of half a dozen different styles with no direction of its own. Rick-ish f-hole, Tele-style control plate, Dano-type cutaway, MM pickups, LP-ish pickguard, etc.... all it's missing is an angled bridge pickup and recessed jack and tremolo.  :P

AFAIK no Reverends have ever really been Made In USA, even if they claimed to be. At best some of them have qualified as Assembled In USA. Same with Joe's old amps.

I'm a fan of real MM pickups designed to be used with the MM preamps. I've yet to play a look-alike that sounds like the original. YMMV.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 09:49:31 AM »
Good points folks.  I for one, hate the MM pups in any configuration, but I do like the style and design elements of the rest of the bass.  I assumed it was not USA made and it looks like prices will be even lower than $999.

I'd still love to play and hear one though.  It's not unlike what I have in miind to build in the future.

One's listed at $999 on Ebay in Elmira Heights, NY.  It says Reverend dealers are not allowed to discount.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reverend-Dub-King-Semi-Hollow-4-String-Bass-/330588130762?pt=Guitar&hash=item4cf8968dca

I'm a fan of real MM pickups designed to be used with the MM preamps. I've yet to play a look-alike that sounds like the original. YMMV.
I'm with you Dave.  My '76 StingRay with the original Alnico mag pup and 2 band EQ sounds big and natural, with none of the later excesses of active circuitry.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 11:42:44 AM »

I like the shape of that bass and the PG, but the bridge control plate and those pups wreck it.
Some TV Jones Thundertrons would sure be more fitting.

As one that owned an original MM 'Ray and later on a Sabre - I can say I don't like MM pups in any bass, clacky, glassy = not for me  :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 11:49:49 AM »

I like the shape of that bass and the PG, but the bridge control plate and those pups wreck it.
Some TV Jones Thundertrons would sure be more fitting.

As one that owned an original MM 'Ray and later on a Sabre - I can say I don't like MM pups in any bass, clacky, glassy = not for me  :)

Mark, do you remember what year 'Ray, 2 or 3 band EQ?  Ernie Ball made some significant changes when they bought the company.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 12:37:07 PM »
Body shape, block inlays, even the headstock = nice to me.  As with the rest of you, everything else is kind of bleah to barely tolerable.

I think the pickups are DeLanos and if so these aren't cheap $2 chinese pickups - I've never heard them but I am put off by the MM look. 

Before I spent this much on one I'd by a Waterstone in a heartbeat.

http://www.waterstoneguitars.com/bass_indra.shtml

And, it says that all of the TP basses are being cleared out for $899 - must be new models coming.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 01:51:09 PM »
I think the pickups are DeLanos and if so these aren't cheap $2 chinese pickups - I've never heard them but I am put off by the MM look. 

They're described as 'Reverend "Thick Brick" bridge & "Split Brick" neck pickups' on Elderly's website.

I know for certain that's a Korean bridge available retail from Bezdez for $16.  I'm fairly sure those are not USA pick ups, let alone Delanos.  Check out the tuners, they're cheap too.
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/RDK-ROR.htm

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 02:31:55 PM »
Mark, do you remember what year 'Ray, 2 or 3 band EQ?  Ernie Ball made some significant changes when they bought the company.

I'm not up on the MM history but that was probably about '78. Mind you the thing played great, I just never could get a tone out of it that I liked.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 07:24:10 PM »
They're described as 'Reverend "Thick Brick" bridge & "Split Brick" neck pickups' on Elderly's website.

I know for certain that's a Korean bridge available retail from Bezdez for $16.  I'm fairly sure those are not USA pick ups, let alone Delanos.  Check out the tuners, they're cheap too.
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/RDK-ROR.htm

Gotcha, yes, not DeLanos and cheapy tuners.  I think the bridge looks OK but I think the price is a bit much.  I want to like this one but I would still opt for the Waterstone.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 11:19:23 AM »
My versions will be better!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 11:19:36 PM »
Looks like the designer couldn't make up his mind what style to go for so he just used one part from each of the classic models. Tele, Thinline, Ric, F Jazz, Les Paul, MM, Gibson EB etc. I like the colour and the fit and finish looks great other than that....... a dogs breakfast.
Digresion our specialty!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 06:18:28 AM »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird