Author Topic: Robin Ranger Bass  (Read 5111 times)

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
Robin Ranger Bass
« on: July 25, 2010, 02:11:36 AM »
Anybody out there who ownes one, other than me ?

Experience is the ultimate teacher

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Robin Ranger Bass
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 05:26:14 AM »
Another Dutchman... Welcome... (Chris and Rob have a lot to answer for... that includes me too, mind you... ;D)

Not heard of these... their site is a little awkward to negotiate but here's a forum link for aficionados...

http://www.robinlovers.com/forum/

Only link from a quick dip had only one post for a bass, and that was an enquiry into other users, too... I can only presume that they are scarce...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

MikeyB5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 07:19:27 AM »
I saw one on Craigslist today in Chicago. The guy wants $650 for it.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 07:29:17 AM »
@Kenny:

Thanks and Yup. Robin stopped making basses some 15 years ago. Thank for the link but, of course  :P, I've been a member for some years.

@Mikey:

I've been looking for a new home for my Ranger but at USD 650 she'll never leave, I'd rather store her .......

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 05:53:14 PM »
I've played one once in a store, very nice. All Robin Guitars I've played are nice. But they don't hold resale value. They just aren't that well known. The $650 price sounds about right for the US market.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 07:17:57 PM »
Robin Guitars is here in Houston and they offer a factory tour once a month.  I keep telling myself I'm going to make the tour :sad:

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 12:39:24 AM »
I've played one once in a store, very nice. All Robin Guitars I've played are nice. But they don't hold resale value. They just aren't that well known. The $650 price sounds about right for the US market.

Well such is life I guess but a Ranger, even a player, should be worth a lot more than that. It's a great bass, it's been my main axe for the last 2 years of my semi-pro phase and I've used her as a player for just about every project-band and subsitution job I've played since. Over the last year I've been switching to shorties, due a moped accident I had some 6 years ago the dexterity of the ol' fingers ain't what it used to be, and I hate to see her just standing and collecting dust in my rack. But at USD 650 it would feel like giving her away........... :-\

briscojames

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 09:06:26 AM »
Hey I'd be interested if you wanted to sell that Robin!

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 11:09:33 AM »
 Yes I could part with it. Problem is she's a player, not a collectors piece and I won't sell for today's market value because she's worth more than that IMO. But if you've got a serious offer to make please PB me.

briscojames

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 11:17:19 AM »
Ild love to make an offer but don't want to insult you. It would definately get played on a regular basis in a couple of bands I play in.  Can you give me an idea what you might take for it?  Thanks!

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 11:17:44 AM »
A lot can happen in just over a month......... I had to sell off my cherished Custom Shop Fender 51 model P because my left hand just couldn't take the enormous neck anymore without cramping up for two days. That left me with only 3 long-scale basses of which the Ranger has the fastest and thinnest neck by far. It's probably the long-scale I can use the longest without any problems, so I have had to rethink my options and came to the conclusion I'd be a fool to part with the Robin at this stage. I'm sorry ........