Author Topic: Squier Classic Vibe 60s Fretless Jazz Bass  (Read 1054 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Squier Classic Vibe 60s Fretless Jazz Bass
« on: August 06, 2020, 02:55:37 PM »
I just picked up one of these from a local shop. My 13 year old started playing bass a few months ago (also plays trombone and mandolin) and the other night he told me he had been researching Jazz basses online. I took him out yesterday and we made the rounds to multiple shops, playing various MIM and Japanese Fenders, Squiers, and a Music Man Sterling StingRay, which was the hands down winner of the day until we saw this (Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz). My son was actually happier that it was fretless, and it sings and barks like a Jazz Bass should.

Honestly, I was amazed by the quality and sound. It has a set of D'Addario XL rounds and a great setup, so from the first note it felt and sounded great. I didn't ask them whether it was new or used (not marked as either), but the only thing missing was the pickup stickers, so I figure maybe it was a quick return because it looks brand new. The Indian Laurel fingerboard did look unappealing to me on first glance (too light and stripey), but a good rub with oil darkened it right up when we got home. We'll just oil it now and then until it stays that way. :)

I was never really drawn to fretless electrics, but this one really impressed me. If your budget can handle the higher priced Fenders or clones, then obviously you might prefer one. But I wouldn't hesitate to use this bass (if my son lets me!) for any performance or session where I thought a fretless might do the trick.

Bubbalou88

• View Profile
Re: Squier Classic Vibe 60s Fretless Jazz Bass
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 03:20:18 PM »
That is gordeous!!!
CEO of Retired

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 06:38:19 AM »
Cool, thanks for the report. Good looking bass. Not sure I've ever seen a factory lined fretless from Fender.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 01:08:36 PM »
Not so uncommon these days, Tom...
Nice looking beastie...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...