Author Topic: Tailpiece update  (Read 7752 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Tailpiece update
« on: April 17, 2008, 12:22:34 PM »
Hi All,
I just got off the phone with my machinist and here's where we are with the pieces.  They are in final stages of polishing before plating.  He's been working tons of overtime (60 hours/week) and has hasn't had as much free time as he had hoped.  The pieces are completely cut and drilled  (he said it took about 15 minutes per string slot to cut them cuz he had to do them by hand. Yikes!)  So, he hopes to have them all polished up by Sunday and off to the platers Monday.  He said I could call Monday to see if he got them done and sent out.  Once the plater gets them, it only takes 3-4 days to get them back and I can ship 'em out.

My apologies for the time it's taken.  We are getting a very good deal on these as he's putting an hour or more into each one of them with hand cutting, drilling and polishing.  I'm sure glad we aren't paying the same rate as his usual customers!  He also said he's really glad he didn't have to do 50 or 100 of them!  This will probably be the last run for quite some time.

Thanks again for your patience.  We are definitely in the home stretch.

Bill
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:03:25 PM by drbassman »
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Tailpiece update
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 12:46:50 PM »
Maybe Rob should get in touch with him?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 01:01:49 PM »
Maybe Rob should get in touch with him?

Yikes, that could be dangerous based on his luck!  I'm glad this little project isn't any more involved than it is.  A lot of things happen in these situations.  We aren't paying retail, so I can't be a demanding bastard like I usually am.   :)  He's trying very hard to make them as perfect as he can because we're friends, which also slows things down as well.  So, all in all, we will get excellent reproductions for a third or less then the cost of having just one made.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 01:26:46 PM »
Well, DrBassman and I spoke about that option very early on in this project. But the BaCHbird was already in the stage where BaCH had the measurements and technical drawings at the hardware tooler's.
Plus, the price of the tailpieces that DrBassman is making would weigh considerably on the total price of the BacHbird.
Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt they will be worth every penny. And especially if you look at the Ebay prices, I think this is the chance for perfectionists to have a perfect bridge (and upgrade their BaCHbird  ;) )

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 01:31:52 PM »
Yikes, that could be dangerous based on his luck!  I'm glad this little project isn't any more involved than it is.  A lot of things happen in these situations.  We aren't paying retail, so I can't be a demanding bastard like I usually am.   :)  He's trying very hard to make them as perfect as he can because we're friends, which also slows things down as well.  So, all in all, we will get excellent reproductions for a third or less then the cost of having just one made.

You need to get him a nice bottle of something. kill them with kindness works so much better- the Catholic guilt will then take over.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 05:11:50 PM »
You need to get him a nice bottle of something. kill them with kindness works so much better- the Catholic guilt will then take over.

I'm already planning on a case of beer, his favorite beverage!   ;)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 05:16:15 PM »
Yeah, as far as the Bachbird project, any tailpiece (or other part for that matter) made in the US would push its price over the edge! 

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 10:49:18 AM »
The tailpieces are all buffed/polished and heading to the plater's tomorrow!  Yeah!  They should be back and in my hands by Friday or Monday.  Watch for updates.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 11:13:44 AM »
See, the case of beer worked!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 12:01:58 PM »
See, the case of beer worked!

Case? More like 3!!!!  :D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 04:24:24 AM »
Can I have the tailpiece specimens he finished before finishing the first case of beer then?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 04:30:10 AM »
Can I have the tailpiece specimens he finished before finishing the first case of beer then?

Ah, the good doctor won't prescribe the medicine until after examining the "patients" first hand.  Once I see all 25 of the little beggars sitting before me in their nickel plated glory, I'll hand the brew-bribe over to the machine-man.   8)  I'll see him tonight at a meeting and I'll make sure all is well as we commiserate over a draft in the basement pub.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 05:51:19 PM »
waiting anxiously !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 06:52:59 PM »
I had a couple beers with Bill the machinist tonight and he said he dropped the finished pieces off at the plater's today! Yahoo, now we're just a few days from completion. Oh yeah baby!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 07:59:56 PM »
Cool! I'm excited to get them. They'll look great, no matter what project I use them for.  ;D