Author Topic: Those with a secret love for Euro-trash speak up...  (Read 1859 times)

Blazer

Those with a secret love for Euro-trash speak up...
« on: May 07, 2008, 04:08:23 AM »
I guess we all have skeletons in our closet when music is concerned, things that we're reluctant to admit to liking. One of my secret loves is Euro-trash and with that I don't mean trash metal.

Dieter Bohlen is a name that won't ring a bell with everybody but in Germany and the low countries he's a well known producer and talent scout, making him the German version of Simon Cowel. But Bohlen decided that he himelf could use some of that fame too and together with singer Thomas Anders he formed Modern Talking a hugely succesful Euro-trash duo which had a string of number one hits all across europe and Asia. Their formula: remake the same record over and over, if it works, it'll work again and again.

And I loved it, as idiotic as it might sound. Those hooks in those songs also grabbed me by the throat. They were easy to sing along to and as a kid who's just beginning to learn how to speak english they were a big help for me in mastering that language.

Perhaps the biggest hit of them all.

So Dieter Bohlen und Thomas Anders, danke shön für die toller musik die im meiner kinderzeit mir zoviel spass gaben.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Those with a secret love for Euro-trash speak up...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 05:33:25 AM »
I always knew one day some of the worst German atrocities committed in the history of mankind would come to haunt me in this forlorn place ... I was just lucky until now ...

Dieter Bohlen (the blond guy and mastermind) now heads "Deutschland sucht den Superstar" (Germany's next superstar).

I herewith apologize, yes there is such a thing as "Sippenhaft" ...

Uwe

Here are my Euro guilty pleasures (non-representative random selection):

« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:46:34 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 09:55:55 AM »
It Burns, Make it stop!!!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 10:16:36 AM »
 And One....Military Fashion Show. Love it late at night when I'm driving home from being out dancing.
Sorry about the vid, its the only one I could find of the original.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 11:38:23 AM by Dave W »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 11:09:27 AM »
Don't get me started!  ;D

Here's some groups that I like, and tourtue my wife and kids with.  Don't know if they are considered "euro-trash", but I like them nontheless...

Add (N) to X

(can't post the "offical" video for that one here  ;) )

Stereolab

Human League

Kraftwerk

ramone57

• View Profile

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 02:57:03 AM »
As electronic-pop-dancesters, DAF (Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft) were perhaps too avant garde and too long-lasting an influence (I always find that Rammstein sounds like someone was raised on a solitary diet of Judas Priest and DAF) to deserve the Euro trash label.

"Down on your knees
Move your hips
Clap your hands
Dance the Mussolini
And now the Adolf Hitler
Move your butt
And now the Jesus Christ ..."

« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 02:41:46 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 06:06:18 PM »
thanks, Uwe.  I wasn't really sure what euro trash is supposed to be but I saw the vids for human league and kraftwerk, so I went with daf.  they were faves within my circle of friends.   I wasn't aware they were so influential on the music scene in the old country!  they made some great music, even if some of it was a little different from one usually heard on the radio over here.