Author Topic: Contradicting censorship on MTV.  (Read 636 times)

Blazer

Contradicting censorship on MTV.
« on: November 29, 2008, 10:23:55 AM »
It's kinda funny how different meanings of one word can have people's underpants in a knot.

Take for example the F word. Here on MTV Holland we mostly get to see the programs uncensored, we get the unbleeped versions directly from the good Ol' US of A. So basically anything goes. So when they were broadcasting the "Jackass, where are they now?" special we got Johnny Knoxville and his dimwitted crew saying things like "Oh yeah that was f***ed up" but while using "f***" in that context was fine to them, as soon at that same word stood for a sexual action it was bleeped out. Okay what's the deal here? Why can they say "That was f***ed up" but not "I got f***ed by these hot chicks."

And another thing, in Beavis and Butt-Head episodes they talk freely about family members that get all drunk, but when Johnny Knoxville says "I've been keeping it real, real DRUNK!" they bleep the word "Drunk" away. What's the deal, why can Helen Morgendorffer say "Jake, you're DRUNK!" in the Daria episode "The Daria Hunter" and why can't Johnny Knoxville say the same thing about himself?

Another strange thing, in series like "Jackass" and "The Osbournes" there's a lot of profanity and people saying discriptive stuff like "Dick" and "Cock" but as soon as they use descriptive names for the female gender it's bleeped out. No "Pussy", "Twat" or "Cunt"

American censorship never fails to baffle me.  :-\

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Contradicting censorship on MTV.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 11:17:25 AM »
You mean people still watch MTV? :sad:
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Rocker949

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 11:55:35 AM »
I think the shock value of certain words can vary greatly from country to country.  There even seems to be great differences in the way profanity is used in the UK and the U.S.  Also, I have noticed that even if someone is fluent in a second language, that language's curse words are probably not going to sound as harsh as curse words from the person's native language. 

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 06:32:24 AM »
So.....if we banned censorship, what would we call the people who policed the censorship of  the censors?   Oxymorons ???

Rick

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 10:13:35 AM »
Sometimes a brief moment to examine one's conscience can make a world of difference. Think of it not as censorship, but as self-censorship - a personal responsibility for one's effect on society. The more people that practice it, the less need for them to be monitored.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter