Author Topic: Rig Soaked  (Read 2983 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Rig Soaked
« on: August 16, 2011, 07:24:50 AM »
 At last Saturdays outdoor gig we go soaked big time. The sound stage is a pretty pro set up by Audio Images, top and back cover but no side cover. Scattered Thunderstoms predicted, 30% chance.  long story short we got hit by very high winds 50-60 mph maybe stronger and rain, the rain was going side ways of course coming in on my side of the stage. My rig, basses and pedals got soaked even under tarps, I am still kicking myself for not putting the basses in their cases. We were watching storms to the NE and this came up from the SW, the wind came up just like that, no warning. It could have been much worse.  I have three pedals that are not functioning I have them opened up and in a container of rice, they were wet inside. I hope drying them out helps but if not I can take them to Whirlwind to be fixed, Thanks to my brother inlaw Michael :) the founder of Whirlwind. I had my Hiwatt DR201 and Sound City 200plus on stage The tarps kept most of the water out but I am sure not all, they are drying out at the moment. I am petrified to fire them up. Should I pull the tubes from the sockets to make sure they dry out? Any advice would be welcome.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:55:40 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

patman

• View Profile
Re: Rig Soaked
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 07:36:25 AM »
Had that happen to an Acoustic cabinet maybe 30 years ago (maybe more)...the tolex was applied with a water soluble glue, and it all peeled off...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:24:46 PM »
Spilt a pint in mine once - blew the fuse - dried her out, did a megger check and ran her up (from the other side of the room)...

Get a professional insulation check done Scott - we go through this life just the once...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
Pull the tubes, dissassemble them, and put the amps and head cabinets separately in front of box fans on high for a day in a position where any liquid will drain out. If nothing arced or smoked this should be all you need to do.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 02:42:10 PM »
 Thanks! Nothing arched or smoked, power was killed early. On a brighter note one of my pedals came back to life after sitting in rice all day. I'll check the other pedals tomorrow.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 02:45:31 PM »
Hair dryer works better on the pedals than rice.  Low temp.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 06:54:03 PM »
 :sad:
Good thing you don't have any a-them Fender amps with the components mounted on cardboard, Masonite - or whatever they used).
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 09:44:59 PM »
:sad:
Good thing you don't have any a-them Fender amps with the components mounted on cardboard, Masonite - or whatever they used).

Heh yep I remember that floor tile kind of vinyl stuff they used and the more cardboardish (grey/blue) board. Musta been cost effective I guess  :-[

Hope its all good for you Scott. I've only had my gear get wet like that once and I just took the tops of the rack components and pulled the tubes and used 2 normal house fans to blow on the gear for about 2 days. I was still too scared to put it back to gether for another couple of days but fired it all up on the 5 day which was the day before my next gig. Had no problems luckily.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:51:29 PM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 09:53:13 PM »
If you get to them quick enough with low-temp air, it's not a big deal, but I've seen them ruined by people trying to dry them out with heat guns and hair dryers by scorching the boards which makes them carbonized and hence, conductive.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 02:34:17 PM »
 My Ibanez bass Tube Screamer came back to life just fine. My two Whirwind pedals (tuner and The Bomb) Had to go in for repair. My Electro Harmonix micro POG was un affected. Both amps are still drying out, I'll wait till Friday to fire them up.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 08:33:51 PM »
Back in 1980 we had a major flood down here and a buddy of mine lost all kinds of stuff under 8 feet of water.  It was amazing to see most of it come back to life with some minor disassembly, lot of time in the sun to dry out and some tuner cleaner.  His Marshall cab even worked - looked like caca though ;D

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 01:02:26 AM »
- looked like caca though ;D

is that a technical description?  ;D
Digresion our specialty!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 02:26:02 AM »
is that a technical description?  ;D