Author Topic: Me in '86 with my trusty '68 NR  (Read 4692 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Me in '86 with my trusty '68 NR
« on: November 30, 2011, 04:49:20 PM »
 I spent the mid 80's in Boston in a Band called Expose, we were real close to the brass ring. I was one of a number of bassists in this band. I never saw the completed video till today!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:00:47 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Me in '86 with my trusty '68 NR
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:53:41 PM »
Did that get airplay on the waaf giraffe?
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:58:55 PM »
WBCN played the snot out of it. Carter Alan produced the song....................I think.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »
I kind of remember the band.  Was this post V66?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:02:12 PM »
Whats V66 ?? I moved to Boston in '84 my cousin Brook Avery was the drummer  in a very hot band at the time New Man, they signed to Arista (I think) He invited me out and introduced me to all the right people, almost before I knew it I was in Expose and touring up and down the northeast coast. It was a wild time and it ended so badly that I had hardly thought about it in all these years. From time to time I would do a search but very little would pop up about the band, it was almost to the point I was beginning to think it didn't happened lol.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 07:09:23 PM by godofthunder »

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:47:11 PM »
V66 was a couple of years before.  It was a local UHF channel that went all video, as MTV was only on cable which was not that common in Boston.  They played a lot of the local bands that would have played at the Channel or the Paradise, and got airplay on WBCN, WAAF, COZ.  Not the WMBR Rat bands.  V66 was quite the phenomenon.  I recall New Man as well, but didn't get out to see those bands.  My brother got me in to see the Classic Ruins when I was underage.   

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 05:08:49 AM »
  We played The Channel, The Rat( Ratscheller), Narcissus etc etc etc. The video was shot at The Channel.
V66 was a couple of years before.  It was a local UHF channel that went all video, as MTV was only on cable which was not that common in Boston.  They played a lot of the local bands that would have played at the Channel or the Paradise, and got airplay on WBCN, WAAF, COZ.  Not the WMBR Rat bands.  V66 was quite the phenomenon.  I recall New Man as well, but didn't get out to see those bands.  My brother got me in to see the Classic Ruins when I was underage.   

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 10:34:52 AM »

What a cool vid!

I'm unapologetic about being a big fan of '80 music, this is like a closet classic, I love the girls and guys fashion, hair,  (BTW Scott you look great with short hair!) even folks smoking cigs inside! Great stuff Scott!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 11:27:45 AM »
That was cool- what a great find!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »
Who's the pretty crew-cut on bass?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 12:58:04 PM »
Woah, that clip is very eighties!  :mrgreen:

The guy in the clip is hilarious. They way he steps out the door and brings both hands to his head in "despair" is epic!

And wow Scott, you and the NR Tbird back in the eighties, way before they became en vogue; so cool.

Wish I had some footage from back then.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 02:08:11 PM »
Rob I started playing NRs in '77!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 02:21:05 PM »

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 02:22:03 PM »
That is really cool! I moved away from the Boston area from '82-'88, so only heard about V66 from friends. By the time I started playing around Boston in the early '90s I think the Channel was already gone.

That's amazing that you only just saw the video now! Must have brought back some memories!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 02:54:46 PM »
    I was hung over to beat the band the morning we shot this..................................... we had a gig the night before. I ended up at someones house crashed on a couch. We arrived at the gig by limousine and someone took us to the party after. I woke up at 7:30, we had to be there at 8AM. Someone at the house loaned me their car, a Dodge Dart as I remember. No shower, no shave with my head pounding we did take after take, I would lie on the stage between takes. I'm well represented in the video, I'm pleased by that. It's funny I cut my hair just before I joined the band and I always wished I hadn't.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 07:47:26 AM by godofthunder »