Author Topic: Introduction, EB-4L, and some advice  (Read 5745 times)

toddbooster

• View Profile
    • Mighty Big Word
Introduction, EB-4L, and some advice
« on: June 28, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm new here, but I've been lurking on and off for years (I first discovered this forum about 10 years ago when I was briefly obsessed with Gibson basses), and I've finally decided to make an account so I can pick your brains for a little advice.

Recently, I picked up a walnut, 1972 EB-4L on impulse. It's a bit banged up, but it plays and sounds wonderful. Anyway, on to the meat of my post: the three position switch.

Mine works, but is missing it's knob. I tried to pop a Strat knob on there, but it seems that the blade has been broken off at some point and is too short, so that with the knob on, it won't switch fully over to the left or right (the knob bumps into the screw heads on either side).

Anyway, I searched high and low, and even found reports of a mysterious "Nighthawk" switch which would work, but that was from 5 years ago, and there is nothing left for sale anywhere. What I can't find is any info about what kind of switch it is, who makes/made it, or if there is a modern switch which could replace it.

So, if anyone can help with some pointers or advice, I would really appreciate it.

Todd

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Introduction, EB-4L, and some advice
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 03:28:05 PM »
Welcome!

The only EB4L wiring diagram I could findis on pg116 of this german PDF:  http://161589.homepagemodules.de/file.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.homepagemodules.de%2Fb161589%2Ff2t29p70n2_KCIhpUwM.pdf&r=&content=RE%3A_Cadfaels_kleine_Schaltplan-Sammlung_f%26uuml%3Br_passive_E-B%26auml%3Bsse_

That is not going to be an easy part to replace - 3P3T (a Tele switch is 2P3T).  Ebay will find you one eventually.  You could replace it with an EB3 style rotary 3P3T (easy to find) but it won't be the same - not sure if that plastic minipanel it's mounted in is big enough to take a 1/4" shaft.

There was a parts guy on ebay selling Triumph bass switches which will work (4P3T IIRC - just leave the last pole unused - this will not give you an emopty switch position, that would be annoying, the T number = the number of positions, the poles are like how many switches are controlled by the same lever).  If those are gone, then I'm sure someone here bought 1 more spare than they really need....

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:33:14 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 04:04:43 PM »
Welcome aboard!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 04:08:54 AM »
Welcome!

I may have a spare switch.  I bought two off eBay years ago & only used one.  I'll have a look for it and let you know.

toddbooster

• View Profile
    • Mighty Big Word
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 05:21:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for your warm welcomes, and help. I've learned more about this switch here in a few short paragraphs than I did from a whole day of searching!

@FrankieTbird: If you could have a look, I'd appreciate it.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 06:13:38 AM »
I just dug mine out - turns out I grabbed 2 of them; indeed 4P3T.  If Frankie has a spare the shipping from him will be cheaper (also we have a potential postal strike starting this weekend).

It looks exactly like this one:

Turns out these may have been EB4L switches after all - the switch tip is very different from my Triumph (though they'll work fine for that too - maybe that was all that was different and otherwise same part).  Note how the inner connections aren't being used (there's 2 poles per each of those turqoise wheels, so they had to order them with an extra pole even though they only needed 3 - a Tele switch would have only one of those wheels).   The lever is also rather long (to reach thru the wood panel).

Might be a good idea to double check the measurements:

mounting hole spacing (Center to center): 1 1/4" exactly

mounting depth: 1" (maybe +1/32nd or something, when wires are solderred to it it'll be a bit more)
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

toddbooster

• View Profile
    • Mighty Big Word
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 07:48:20 AM »
Thanks for all this info Granny, it's always good to have options. Curiously, we're about to have a postal strike too (unless you're in Canada too, in which case it's not curious at all really). I can certainly wait until they have it sorted out.

I'll double check my measurements tonight when I'm home from work and get back to you.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 09:51:48 AM »
Go ahead and get the switch from Granny since y'all are both in Canada, and I might have a coronary trying to locate that thing.  Good luck with it!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 10:02:21 AM »
   If all else fails I believe I have one as well.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

toddbooster

• View Profile
    • Mighty Big Word
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 10:45:20 AM »
Ha! You guys are great. Two days ago I was like "Where the @#&! are all the switches?" The answer all along was "Why, they're all right here."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 05:18:52 PM »

Welcome Here!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 05:31:56 PM »
Welcome, and congrats on finding the needle in a haystack.

toddbooster

• View Profile
    • Mighty Big Word
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 06:35:54 PM »
For the record: screw holes on mine are 1 1/4" apart as well. Here's the inside:

Also, here's a shot of the slightly bent and shortened blade of the switch:

Apologies for the camera quality.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:25:18 AM by toddbooster »

toddbooster

• View Profile
    • Mighty Big Word
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 06:46:34 PM »
While I'm waiting on results for the switch I have another question, if you'll indulge me. It's about my Evertilt bridge.

That's about as good as I could get it. Is that what one would consider too tilted? It seems to me like the action is almost perfect, even with that amount of lean. I'm not opposed to installing a Hipshot, but I'd like to keep the original, if it's not going to cause any harm like that. The only trouble then is that two of the ends of the intonation screws are broken, so I'd have to replace those.

Again, any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:26:22 AM by toddbooster »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 03:34:21 AM »
Pics are not visible...