Author Topic: Simple and cheap cure for the Evertilt  (Read 2432 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Simple and cheap cure for the Evertilt
« on: February 15, 2015, 09:44:16 AM »
While working on my home built Les Paul Bass I've come up with a simple solution to cure the tilt of the Tune-O-Matic bridge.

The tilt has two causes.
The first is the loose fit of the screw parts that go into the inserts.
The second is the loose fit of the slotted part where the actual bridge sits on. Often this part is damaged because the tiny hex screws at the tail end of the bridge weren't properly loosened before adjusting the bridge height.
Both these loose fits add up to a wiggling bridge and a (huge) tilt when you tighten the strings.

Anyway, I thought of a simple and cheap solution that can easily be removed if it doesn't work for you.
Pipefitters use this very flexable non adhesive white tape to make the connection for water pipes and gas pipes a secure a tight fit. A roll of this stuff cost less than a dollar/euro.

Simply wrap some around the screw part of the stud. Pull it tight when you wrap it. Just about 5 cm is enough.

Do the same with the slotted part where the bridge slides over.

Don't forget to tighten the hex screws at the back of the bridge after you've set the bridge to the right height!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:50:51 AM by Basvarken »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Simple and cheap cure for the Evertilt
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 09:46:58 AM »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:52:52 AM »
Dude, the cure has been known for a long time - it's called adding a trapeze tailpeice (doesn't even required any new holes - mount from the endpin screw  There's a few other benefits in there too.

I'm sure this works too, but teflon tape will wear and need to be replaced periodically. It does have the benefit of being cheaper and quicker (any hardware store, will have the tape).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:58:35 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:00:07 AM »
A trapeze piece may be a solution for you, but I think it is a rather invasive solution. It doesn't look right IMHO.

If pipefittters use this tape to install gas pipes in houses that hold safely for decades it is good enough for me.  :-*

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »
A trapeze piece may be a solution for you, but I think it is a rather invasive solution. It doesn't look right IMHO.

If pipefittters use this tape to install gas pipes in houses that hold safely for decades it is good enough for me.  :-*

Nice solution!  Pipefitters use teflon tape between 2 threaded parts, so it lasts until you take them apart.  Your application is slightly different but it's easy to replace the tape on the slotted part if it fails.  I'm going to try it on the second generation pot metal 'bar bridge' studs on my '67 EBO to see if it cures the tilt.  THANKS!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 10:28:52 AM »
Nice solution!  Pipefitters use teflon tape between 2 threaded parts, so it lasts until you take them apart.  Your application is slightly different but it's easy to replace the tape on the slotted part if it fails.  I'm going to try it on the second generation pot metal 'bar bridge' studs on my '67 EBO to see if it cures the tilt.  THANKS!

I meant use it on the threaded part as well as the slotted part.
So the threaded part is basicly how pipefitters use it.
When you take the threaded parts out you are going to have to replace the tape (just like a pipefitter would have to)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:46:41 AM by Basvarken »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 11:20:47 AM »
Fair enough; I may be a bit of a fetishist (never met a Gibson bass w 2 point that I didn't think would look hotter with a trapeze).  Not intrusive though - no new holes required.

Remember, if it still tilts, you can double up on the tape.  It may also compress and loosen over time even without unscrewing (I used to be a pool guy, we went through crates of the stuff; plumbers might use it on the odd screw/compression fitting but pipefitters don't - they use pipe dope ... both kinds in my experience  ;) ).  It's only about a buck a roll so not too crazy to keep one the case of all yer evertilt basses.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 01:01:21 PM »
I meant use it on the threaded part as well as the slotted part.
So the threaded part is basicly how pipefitters use it.
When you take the threaded parts out you are going to have to replace the tape (just like a pipefitter would have to)

Yes, I understood that, thanks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 01:34:11 PM »
So what if it only lasts a few months? (which I doubt)  The price is right and it will take only a few minutes to re-do.

Not all those bridges suffer from this problem anyway.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 02:25:10 PM »

Remember, if it still tilts, you can double up on the tape. 

Nah, that only works to a certain point. If you wind too much tape, it piles up underneath the bridge, on the flange of the stud.
You have to wind just enough tape to get the bridge to slide on the stud, without scraping the tape down when you push the bridge plate down on the flange.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 03:14:30 PM »
I was going to comment on what Rob just posted last but a caveat as follows...

PTFE tape is used by plumbers and is the one in Rob's earlier pictures but the PTFE tape gas fitters use is thicker and not what you need... there's a knack to getting the right amount of turns...

Nice Idea...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 05:25:23 PM »
Nice idea, Rob.

My problem with teflon tape is that I can never find it when I need it. Off to Home Depot to buy another roll. Then the ones I already have come out of hiding.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 07:01:25 PM »
Nice idea, Rob.

My problem with teflon tape is that I can never find it when I need it. Off to Home Depot to buy another roll. Then the ones I already have come out of hiding.

I must have 8-10 partial rolls of Teflon tape around here. Never seem to find it until I buy a new roll  :-[
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 07:11:07 PM »
I must have 8-10 partial rolls of Teflon tape around here. Never seem to find it until I buy a new roll  :-[

Jus' like missing socks.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 09:52:27 PM »
What? The Sock Monster eats teflon too ??
Louder bass!.