Author Topic: Stacked Vol pots for my '79 Tele, Which ones ?  (Read 1516 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Stacked Vol pots for my '79 Tele, Which ones ?
« on: July 18, 2011, 09:12:12 AM »
 Guys I know enough about wiring to be dangerous. I want 4 vol. controls on this beast and not a lot of holes, I think Iome sugested stacked vol. and I like the idea. Which pots should I buy ? http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_concentricpots.htm 
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Stacked Vol pots for my '79 Tele, Which ones ?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:51:08 AM »
Since they're all Fenders, 250 is the usual volume pot (actually I don't know about the 'bucker).

EP-4485-000, 8mm shaft.  It's a CTS pot

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 10:17:50 AM »
Since they're all Fenders, 250 is the usual volume pot (actually I don't know about the 'bucker).

EP-4485-000, 8mm shaft.  It's a CTS pot

The Tele Bass humbucker uses 1 meg volume and tone pots (like the originals did in most years). http://squierguitars.com/pdf/current/P%20Bass/Vintage%20Modified%20P%20Bass%20TB.pdf

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 10:42:39 AM »
I know my friends...i'm a rukin' genius  ;D  You can find 250/500 combined stacked knobs but i've never seen 250/1 meg stacked knobs..

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 07:33:24 PM »
I wouldn't sweat the 1 meg. If you've got a Fenderbucker and you're mixing raw pickup outputs with no tone controls, odds are a lower value pot is going to keep the mids and top end from getting weird and phasey anyway. I'd use a 250/500 for the first two pickups and a 250/250 stacked knob for the other two. I'd wire the 500 to the bucker to give it a more useful taper, and put the 250 on the s/c. If the s/c ends up being too muddy (which I doubt it will), then try a 500/500. That bass will be a monster.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 07:11:22 AM »
 Thanks I'll order some up today :)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 07:59:54 AM »
I wouldn't sweat the 1 meg. If you've got a Fenderbucker and you're mixing raw pickup outputs with no tone controls, odds are a lower value pot is going to keep the mids and top end from getting weird and phasey anyway. I'd use a 250/500 for the first two pickups and a 250/250 stacked knob for the other two. I'd wire the 500 to the bucker to give it a more useful taper, and put the 250 on the s/c. If the s/c ends up being too muddy (which I doubt it will), then try a 500/500. That bass will be a monster.

Agreed, and it probably won't have any negative effect on the humbucker's high end. The originals really weren't short on high end, they just had lots of hot mids and weren't as clear as a J or P. I haven't heard the reissue, Scott says it's a lot like the original.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »
 The new Squier Humbucker sounds much like I remember the original ones. It would sound great right in the sweet spot where the single coil is.