Author Topic: Speaker cab  (Read 1158 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Speaker cab
« on: October 03, 2009, 08:00:03 AM »
I saw this at Woodnet. I'm impressed by all the work that went into it! Bass speaker cabinet project

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Speaker cab
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 08:49:09 AM »
I saw this at Woodnet. I'm impressed by all the work that went into it! Bass speaker cabinet project

Very cool and lots of work!  I'd have to be retired before I'd tackle something like that.  I'd rather build a bass, just because.  That design is also incredible.  I bet it sounds pretty good.  I'd love to see the finished cab.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 12:57:49 PM »
Nice workmanship... as Bill said, would be interesting to see the completed work...

When I worked (briefly - '82 - 6 weeks) for a cab and speaker manufacturer there were some exceptionally complex boxes they were making for Iron Maiden - all sorts of speaker sizes in a cab a bit bigger than a 4x12; all sparayed blue... they were also making Trace Elliot 2x12 combo shells, and "Martin" bins...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 04:32:02 PM »
Reminds me of the folded horn I built in shop my freshman year of highschool - tons of dados and rabbets.  I measured a Randall 1 -15 folded at H & H Music and backassward engineered it.  It was a hell of project for kid just learning how to use power tools and took me half a year to complete.  It sounded OK but was huge and must have weighed 90 lbs.  I got an A and a hernia :)

I can't help but think that this cab might get heavy but I'm more than certain it sounded better than my old cab.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 07:34:26 PM by Lightyear »

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 05:49:08 AM »
there were some exceptionally complex boxes they were making for Iron Maiden - all sorts of speaker sizes in a cab a bit bigger than a 4x12; all sparayed blue...

Check TecAmp. This German manufacturer has a cab as big as a Volkswagen Bus, called the Bad Cab, with 4x10, 2x12 and 2x15 in one cab! While you're there check the Pleasure Board and Pump. I tried it some times. Pure genius:)

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 12:28:57 PM »
Looks very "Amsterdam back streets", if you get my drift, Chris...  ;)

Gotta damit that that "BADCAB" is a lot lighter than I expected... what a monster, but I just don't think my Hiwatt would be up to the job...  :o
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 12:33:49 PM »
I think my Hiwatt DR201 would sound great through a Badcab!!!! :D It is relatively light. Neo dymium speakers, I suppose.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 12:47:33 PM »
200 watts through a 2,400 watt cab... hmm...  ;)

Ah... an optimists soul...

at least the ohmage is ok...