Author Topic: Soundborn Octopus 8-string Modification  (Read 3384 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Soundborn Octopus 8-string Modification
« on: October 01, 2009, 10:09:30 AM »
Mark's comment in another thread about avoiding the temptation of bassnw of course prompted me to immediately visit their site, and drool over stuff that I don't need (but want anyway).

In the process, I came across this freak of nature:

I don't recall ever seeing this contraption before, but apparently it was marketed as the "Soundborn Octopus", and is a retrofit bridge designed to facilitate the conversion of a 4-string into an 8-string bass.

Has anyone here ever handled a bass with one of these installed?  I don't know that I would ever try to seek one out, but I'm still curious about it.  Seems like a nifty idea with an extremely limited target audience!  Guess that explains the rarity.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Soundborn Octopus 8-string Modification
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 10:29:51 AM »
I remember seeing those in guitar mags, probably like early 80s. Looks like a decent device to me.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 11:56:57 AM »
I remember seeing the bridge in a guitar shop circa 1987 or so. I wanted one bad but by the time I had another bass to put it on it was gone and the guy in the shop couldn't remember what it was. I like the simplicity and would not hesitate to buy that bass if I had the money. To this day my number one bass in the ears of everyone I've ever played with is my '79 P. 11 pounds of chest pounding, mix cutting tone...

That looks like an A neck which might be a little tight spacing in the first position. I'd like to try that combo with a B.

Funny, the same thread is what sent me over there to find that as well. :)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 12:28:36 PM »
Interesting 8 string (on a budget?)... my concern would be the gap between the harmonics and the primary string at the nut end of the neck... gut-instict says the strings may "touch", in use, leading to an irritating buzz (sorry "Buzz") whilst playing open string notes up to the 5th or so... not much clearance... didn't catch on. so...

Re G's '79 P... I know you've got (or had) a T'bird fixation, George, and you can't argue with other people's ears... (That "Fenderbird" moment... ;)) but if I listened to the vocalist in the semi-dormant band I'm in, I'd only be playing a mid 80's Hohner "Jack"...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 01:27:09 PM »
My concern would be the added string tension on a neck that's definitely not designed to take it.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 02:15:16 PM »
My concern would be the added string tension on a neck that's definitely not designed to take it.

I have to admit- the thought of putting one on the Magnum-I that I hardly ever touch crossed my mind.  That sucker has the mother of all necks.  I'd do it just to see if it would budge  ;D

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 11:07:29 PM »
Re G's '79 P... I know you've got (or had) a T'bird fixation, George, and you can't argue with other people's ears... (That "Fenderbird" moment... ;)) but if I listened to the vocalist in the semi-dormant band I'm in, I'd only be playing a mid 80's Hohner "Jack"...

In some instances I prefer a Gibson bass sound and I have always loved Thunderbirds, but that particular P is one of those basses that just fits no matter what the style, band, etc. Since 1986 I have always taken one or two other basses to rehearsals and shows (once I had more than one bass), and the P. It always goes.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 09:02:06 AM »
I've always wanted a Jazz - my Dennis Dunaway admiration phase as a teen, probably why I'm fixated on EB3L's, too...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...