Author Topic: Suppose you wanted to get a replacement for your (long-lost) first bass...?  (Read 3330 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Suppose you wanted to get a replacement for your (long-lost) first bass...?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 06:45:52 PM »
My first bass was a Hofner 500/1... good riddance. My first good bass was a 1980 fretless Fender P, that I had to sell in '87 because I needed a fretted bass. So a couple of years ago I bought its identical twin, a 70's black-on-black blank plank. It's nice to have but I rarely play it.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 07:30:42 PM »
Lots of love for Vox here.  ;D

I sold my late 60s Italian Phantom IV in '77...bought a far superior Brit '64 in '06.  No complaints here.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 09:05:34 PM »
first bass, a Vox violin V250, that particular bass was a piece of crap, never again. second bass a converted to EB3 spec EBO i don't know what year it was but it had a 5 digit serial number (best i remember) and the cheap Jap tuners. i refinned it to black, about 30 coats of hand rubbed Black Krylon and had it refretted. sorry i ever sold it.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 06:25:44 AM »
I made due with a Welson baritone guitar, stringed as a bass for about 4 years. It fell 2 storeys and crashed to smithereens on the sidewalk when I last moved house, some 12 years ago. Never came across another of those babies, but I don't think I would spend money on a replacement.

My first proper 4 string was a shorty Sakai Telecaster Bass with an added neck-PUP which looked like a Tele guit*r lipstick PUP. Sold it off in 1974 when I got an Ibanez EB-3 and tried to buy it back a year later, but the new owner had just sold it to someone else. First time I saw another one of those models was on the dutch Basgitaar Forum and I played it on a meet last year. No way I'm ever gonna buy one back .........  :sad:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 07:56:48 AM by Droombolus »
Experience is the ultimate teacher

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 07:40:21 AM »
My first was my Epi Tbird, who have been updated with a pair of TB+ pups. I would buy it again without second thought if it were lost. I wanna be buried with that bass, my kids can keep the rest! :D
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 09:45:14 AM »
I still have my first, but like Ken's it was also the subject of cruel experiments - and today it sits in pieces in its chipboard case.  Its a "Cort" precision-bass-shaped-object that was sold through Sears in the early 80s.  I had the equally horrendous Sears 12 watt bass amp to go with it.  The bass started out fiesta red, was stripped natural for a while (not so great with the laminate body), and ended up day-glo green (yay 80s!).

God that bass sucked.  These kids today are lucky to have good-quality cheap stuff like SX, and droves of decent little amps to choose from.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 10:15:11 AM »
Mine was a short scale sunburst Kent Hollow body. Sounded horrible and played even worse! I bought some Model Gs and the guy that installed them shimmed the neck as well so it played better. But think about it. Model Gs in a hollow body. The thing was stuffed to the gills with foam but still fed back like a stuck rhino... 

If I had actual disposable income I'd buy one to put it on the wall or something but I've never seen one since. I've seen other Kent hollow body basses, but never one like mine...

My second bass was a 1980 Precision Special that I paid off in layaway on $25 at a pop. Took me a year but wow what a bass! Of course it was gone six months later as GAS infected me at a very young age. ;D

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 12:42:18 PM »
Posting as the beast has topped the £100 mark and still 3 days to go - I deliberately made a comment on the bolt-on neck to see if that slowed interest, but...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEMI-ACOUSTIC-BASS-GUITAR-/190465747980?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c58a4ac0c

I think I'll pass...

The make is GRENN, not Gren as posted...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 01:01:57 PM »
That body looks exactly like my Kent except mine had two humbucker sized pickups and a floating bridge.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 01:04:38 PM »
The name on the head is a small plate that was "pinned" on, so...

The tail was/is pressed steel and had sharp edges...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 02:42:59 PM »
 I have been down this road Kenny. My first bass was a Kingston jazz wannabe. Horrid piece of work. My folks rented it for a few months to see if i would stick with it. A few years back i bought one off ebay for a lark to complete my "early years collection" Just as bad as I remember. I didn't pay much, if I were you I wouldn't pay to much either.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 02:48:16 PM »
 My first real bass after the rented Kingston, a Klira. It's the one on the left that I "improved" with Gibson SB450 pups when I was young and dumb. Great little bass, I wouldn't trade her for the world.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 05:14:27 PM »
My first real bass after the rented Kingston, a Klira. It's the one on the left that I "improved" with Gibson SB450 pups when I was young and dumb. Great little bass, I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Hey, don't feel bad.  I chiseled a Gibson mini-humbucker into the neck position of my Vox.  Yes, I said chisel.  Then, I used chrome tape for a pickup ring to cover up the damage.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Hornisse

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 06:32:37 PM »
I have been down this road Kenny. My first bass was a Kingston jazz wannabe. Horrid piece of work. My folks rented it for a few months to see if i would stick with it. A few years back i bought one off ebay for a lark to complete my "early years collection" Just as bad as I remember. I didn't pay much, if I were you I wouldn't pay to much either.

That was just like mine except I had the single pickup version.  Just as bad as I remembered too!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 04:19:34 AM »
Hey, don't feel bad.  I chiseled a Gibson mini-humbucker into the neck position of my Vox.  Yes, I said chisel.  Then, I used chrome tape for a pickup ring to cover up the damage.

Did similar to my '60 EBO in '72, used a chisel to mount a Tele pup in the bridge position.  Somehow I avoided the chrome tape.  Still own the bass, it would be worth a lot more without the mod.